- Office (sales) manager China - Zhangjiagang
- Apple Production Manager - Freestate, South Africa
- Entomologist - Canada
- Head Grower - Hudson (OH) USA
- Product Developer - Italy
- Commercial Manager | Fresh Produce | Kenya
- Technical sales Specialist North Europe (Benelux - Germany)
- Technical sales specialists Florida, Virginia, North Caroline, South Carolina, Texas, - USA
- Business Development Manager Spain
- Director of Operations - Ethiopia
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
Absence of cold storage: Indian tomato farmers resort to distress sales
Even as tomatoes are being sold for 20-30 rupees (0.26-0.39 euros) a kilogram in open market in Rourkela and other towns in the state, farmers in Nuagaon find it difficult to recover even the cost of cultivation as traders do not offer them more than 8 to 10 rupees (0.11-0.13 euros) per kg. The growers are often fearful about defaulting on loan payments.
While the farmers had expected to make a profit from this year’s harvest, the distress sale has shattered their hopes again. They are frustrated at the absence of storage facilities. Orissapost.com reported that after repeated demands for cold storage, there was a mini cold storage constructed in Nuagaon. Another cold storage was constructed in 2013-14. However, both cold storages are closed now.
Lack of awareness and support from Horticulture and Agriculture Departments keeps on worsening the farmers’ plight.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2019-07-08 "It is difficult to lower the temperature in the vegetable core to the required four degrees."
- 2019-06-03 Air distribution mat against temperature fluctuations
- 2019-02-01 New cold store and cooking facility for Swedish vegetables
- 2018-07-04 Vacuum cooling for every small hold farmer on the planet
- 2018-06-27 US (CA): JSK cooling system for Sunniva
- 2018-06-07 Netherlands: IPHandlers builds new Perishable Centre
- 2018-02-27 North-east India: Farm-side cold storages for vegetables
- 2018-01-04 Absence of cold storage: Indian tomato farmers resort to distress sales
- 2017-12-13 Cold chain solutions for Nigerian farmers
- 2017-12-13 Fresh investment poised to bring innovative device to exporters worldwide
- 2017-12-12 India: Cold storage for growers in the orange bowl of Manipur
- 2017-11-22 What is hydronic cooling?
- 2017-11-13 China: Demand for refrigerated trucks is steadily growing
- 2017-10-03 Tecnova implements a greenhouse refrigeration system in Egypt
- 2017-09-01 Royal treatment for the 'King of the frozen fruits': the strawberry
- 2017-06-07 New monitoring solution for food retailers
- 2017-05-17 "If you don't jump on it quickly, CGMMV can easily get out of hand"
- 2017-04-03 China: Large cold chain logistics center to be built in Ganzhou
- 2017-03-16 Conviron announces new distributor for Colombia, Peru and Ecuador
- 2017-02-02 McGill researchers develop new passive cooling and ventilation solution