- Sales Representative Substrates Peru
- Head Grower – High Technology Organic Greenhouse
- Import and Export Sales Manager
- Sales Manager - US
- Key Account Manager (f/m/d) - Full-time
- Vice President of Growing Operations
- Account Manager - Canada
- Account Manager - United States
- Procurement Manager Blueberries
- International Fruit Trader
US: OFRF releases new report on impacts of strawberry research
Since its founding, OFRF has awarded 14 grants specific to berry crop production, investing a total of $260,176. These projects range from control of the lygus bug—an ongoing challenge in both organic and conventional strawberry production—to increased availability of organic starts.
Some of the most significant scientific advancements in strawberry research have been made by Dr. Carol Shennan and Dr. Joji Muramoto at UC Santa Cruz, who have pioneered alternatives to methyl bromide in commercial strawberry production. Anaerobic soil disinfestation (ASD), an alternative to using fumigants to control soil pathogens, has been widely adopted among strawberry growers in California, and is expected to increase especially as the fumigant methyl bromide is phased out. Shennan and Muramoto used their initial OFRF grants to leverage $5.3M in additional funding from state and federal agencies.
One unique facet of OFRF grant projects is close collaboration with organic farmers as research participants. All projects on berry production funded by OFRF were conducted on certified organic farms with the participation of organic farmers and farm operators. Several of the research trials were carried out on the Central Coast, allowing research results to be directly applied to crop management protocols.
Download the report.
All OFRF-funded project results are freely available in their online database.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-11-24 The advantages of vertical farming in Ukraine
- 2023-11-06 Ukraine: Business cultivates and sells microgreens and edible flowers
- 2023-10-26 “The State of Organic Growing" keynote presentation
- 2023-10-05 Frank van der Helm: "When considering destructive interventions in cultivation, think carefully about interventions that kill what lives"
- 2023-10-03 Regenerative agriculture and what it means for organic
- 2023-10-03 Growcoon officially approved for organic cultivation in Spain
- 2023-10-02 "Decisions on gene editing regulation in Canada must be made independently"
- 2023-09-29 Two new ed sessions announced for Organic Grower Summit
- 2023-09-04 Educational session on Strengthening Organic Enforcement
- 2023-09-04 Rugby league legend backing Australian Organic Awareness Month
- 2023-07-21 Organic greenhouse grown strawberry launched
- 2023-07-05 A unique aquaponic farm for growing microgreens is developing near Astrakhan
- 2023-06-21 Organic living lettuces in the spotlight
- 2023-06-20 Organic greenhouse grown strawberries will complement field category
- 2023-06-12 Two new papers for organic propagation launched
- 2023-06-05 "A great opportunity to showcase organic produce"