- Head Grower – High Technology Organic Greenhouse
- Import and Export Sales Manager
- Sales Manager - US
- Grower | Cannabis
- Key Account Manager (f/m/d) - Full-time
- Vice President of Growing Operations
- Account Manager - Canada
- Account Manager - United States
- Procurement Manager Blueberries
- International Fruit Trader
"Building with aluminium speeds up project completion"
According to Varnet, two major drivers have motivated the company for improving their products from the beginning. "One was to find a way to shorten the time a client had from the time of the order wait for the greenhouse building project to commence, and parallel to this by speeding up assembly time so that the greenhouse can be completed sooner, and start producing for a faster return of investment."
"It is well known that a greenhouse functions as a whole, and even a tiny change in its workings can affect the crop. A bit more light can promote more photosynthesis, improve taste and production volume. A bit lower temperature at pollination time or more humidity can have an adverse effect on the process and as a result on the crop, and so on. Therefore, so much depends on automation and controllability in a reliable technical environment."
"Hence our second driver was not only to provide this reliability, but create additions and implement changes to enhance- or at the least - aid the enhancement of production."
Last year this resulted in the All Aluminium Venlo structure. "Keeping pace with global industrial and carbon print reduction trends using aluminium for a building material, the construction has already provided much more ease in manufacturing and speed for assembly, besides the obvious benefit of increased reflective surface within the greenhouse. It also had matched the strength of traditional steel structures."
This year the next step is taken by redesigning major components of the aluminium design for the fastest possible assembly and at the same time making the structure stronger. "To further our efforts to reach our goals we looked at possible technical ways to maximize production. We also have eliminated the time-consuming welding processes altogether."
As in vertical farming the increase in production is to do with a better utilization of space available, the designers have looked at ways how this may be possible with the current design of the roll formed steel grow gutters. "To get the freedom of formability, again we turned to the versatile aluminium alloy we use in our construction. In our new design the grow gutter is streamlined with expandable width to accommodate the substrate row(s). It easily clicks together by its extruded aluminium component profiles. This new grow gutter system design allows for more crops planted in the same greenhouse area. In addition, the reflective surface of the aluminium grow gutter also provides for more diffused light around the crop", the Varnet designers show.
The design will be presented at the Growtech Eurasia 2017 in Antalya Turkey.
Meet Varnet at their greenhouse display unit stand 1D-122.
For more information:
Varnet Glasshouse Systems
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-11-29 "The auction model is one that truly works in Almeria"
- 2023-11-29 How AI could power the climate breakthrough the world needs
- 2023-11-29 Bluelab unveils controller upgrade
- 2023-11-29 Plug & Play ready-to-use vertical farm solution with air distribution
- 2023-11-28 Canada: Vertical integration allows to have a farm set up on-site within 3-6 weeks
- 2023-11-27 Egypt: Growers transitioning to soilless farming to counter water scarcity
- 2023-11-24 "The surging berry demand, and the North American market growth are our focus points"
- 2023-11-24 Why do crops grow better with more light?
- 2023-11-24 Addressing labor shortage and preserving heritage through AI farming
- 2023-11-23 Smart farming seen as the solution in Japan’s ageing society
- 2023-11-23 Google's GraphCast can predict weather with 'unprecedented accuracy'
- 2023-11-23 Asia sees growing need for high-quality produce and leafy greens
- 2023-11-22 Netting cages offer a solution for easy insect inspection of new plant material
- 2023-11-22 Bosman Van Zaal now official dealer of Elpress
- 2023-11-22 How AI-led climate modelling could save millions of dollars
- 2023-11-22 Viscon continues development Honest AgTech autonomous driving horticultural robot