- VP Growing Operations
- Head Grower Strawberries, Australia
- Growing Manager for Hydroponic strawberry producer
- Farm Manager Costa Rica
- Regional Sales Manager Fresh Produce
- Head Grower Strawberries, Norway
- Export Trade Manager
- Business Developer - Northern Europe
- Orchard Sector Manager
UN agriculture chief:
"Uganda is a leading example of sustainable refugee response"
“Uganda's refugee model is an example to the world,” said UN Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) Director-General José Graziano da Silva in a news release, noting that the country allocates land to refugees for shelter and cultivation so that they can provide food for themselves rather than rely on food aid.
“It is vital that funds be mobilized to support this effort […] so that refugees and their host communities can have a real opportunity to overcome hunger and poverty. Uganda is giving not only food and land but hope,” he added.
UN Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) Director-General José Graziano da Silva in Uganda. Vegetable and crop seeds are provided to refugees to kick-start their food production. Photo: FAO/Anita Tibasaaga
Uganda is host to the fastest-growing refugee crisis in the world. Since July last year, more than one million South Sudanese refugees have crossed into the country.
The refugees are predominantly women and young people and come from farming or livestock herding communities.
Mr. Graziano da Silva visited two refugee settlements, Agojo and Mungula 1, in Adjumani district near Uganda's border with South Sudan.
At Agojo, the FAO Director-General helped distribute crop and vegetable seeds to more than 1,000 refugee and host community households. At Mungula 1, he inaugurated a micro-irrigation project that will provide the refugee and host community households with a reliable source of water for their crops and animals.
Prior to visiting the settlements, Mr. Graziano da Silva met with Uganda's Prime Minister Ruhakana Rugunda.
Under a new response plan, FAO is intensifying its efforts in providing livelihood assistance to refugees and host communities. The plan focuses on food and livestock production, nutrition, protecting the environment and enhanced technical support to the Government.
The Director-General's visit comes after UN Secretary-General António Guterres called on the donor community in June to strengthen their support to the refugee response. Uganda requires around $2 billion annually for 2017-2020 to address refugee needs, and donors have so far pledged around $358 million.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-09-29 Cucumber and zucchini prices are significantly lower than in the same period of last year
- 2023-09-28 CAN (ON): Affordable housing investment project of $61.4M includes aquaponic farm
- 2023-09-28 Peppers pricey for this time of year
- 2023-09-28 California border patrol officers arrest man smuggling cocaine in cucumber shipment
- 2023-09-28 GfK figures and trends on fruit and vegetable consumption in Germany presented by Ulrike Singer
- 2023-09-28 Green, even more green, will it be houses or greenhouses in Harmelerwaard?
- 2023-09-27 "Shoppers may pay 50% more for tomatoes if the US puts duties on Mexican tomatoes"
- 2023-09-27 Spanish zucchini exports decrease by 18%
- 2023-09-27 Digitalization of the Spanish agricultural sector
- 2023-09-27 Nigerian tomato growers aim for decentralized production
- 2023-09-26 97% of Mexican berries go to the United States and Canada
- 2023-09-26 "Shift from tomatoes to other fruiting vegetables due to risk of ToBRFV"
- 2023-09-26 Fruit and vegetable exports Vietnam set for a record $5 billion this year
- 2023-09-26 Stable market ahead expected for Thai Chili peppers
- 2023-09-26 Production dip prompts price hike for loose tomatoes
- 2023-09-26 Azura Group and Foundation donating €1.5m to Moroccan earthquake relief fund
- 2023-09-25 Satisfactory market for Sicilian organic tomatoes in Germany
- 2023-09-25 Australians are still throwing away too many vegetables
- 2023-09-25 Microgreens are increasingly popular
- 2023-09-25 NASA’s record-breaking astronaut: scientific highlights of Frank Rubio’s year in space