- (Junior) Account Manager France
- Installation Support Engineer (Supervisor)
- Teeltspecialisten Engeland
- Commercial Support Coordinator (32-40 hours)
- Sr Construction Project Manager
- China country manager
- Commercial Key Account Manager
- Agriculture Sales engineer France & European zone
- Cultivation specialist / Growers for Amerika
- Tissue Culture Lab / Operations Manager
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
- Wasabi grower discovering new greenhouse crops
- UK strawberry grower uses UV-light robot to keep powdery mildew at bay
- Gotham Greens raises $310M to accelerate national greenhouse expansion
- Drones fly through tomato rows in International Greenhouse Challenge
- Nigerian grower builds greenhouse from scratch
UK: Inspiration is key for next generation of horticulturists
Growers heard about initiatives to encourage more young people, from school children to PhD students, to engage with the fresh produce production industry.
Chris Baldwin, operations director at The APS Group’s Europa Nursery in Kent, outlined the importance of educating children about the science of growing and to show them where their food comes from. Chris showcased the STEM programme, Captivate to Cultivate, which was set up to inspire pupils to explore, investigate and discover subjects in a fun and stimulating learning environment away from the constraints of the school curriculum.
Growers also heard from AHDB Horticulture-funded PhD students on their research projects. University of Southampton PhD student Bethan Shaw, working at NIAB EMR, presented ways to enhance control against spotted wing drosophila by exploiting daily rhythms.
Harper Adams University lecturer, Jim Monaghan, gave undergraduates from various universities a flavour of a career in horticulture through summer placements, as part of an AHDB Horticulture-funded fellowship project (CP 087).
“Of the 18 students who took part over the course of the programme, 13 are now working within fresh produce and horticulture commercially or through research,” he enthused.
Phil Pearson, Group Development Director of The APS Group and Chair of the British Tomato Growers' Association Technical Committee, said: “We are faced with a huge challenge in the edibles sector of getting fresh and raw talent into the industry. We need to tackle the image problem of horticulture, as being simply gardening.
“Growers heard of great examples of initiatives across a range of education levels and had an opportunity to talk directly to students about their work and ambitions. This is a call to action for all growers, starting with The APS Group to invest in the next generation.”
For more information:
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-10-03 Eighth edition of Seed meets Technology is over
- 2022-09-30 Photo report of Vertifarm 2022
- 2022-09-30 Energy lecture for greenhouse growers with an eye for new technologies
- 2022-09-29 Opportunities and hurdles becoming visible in the market
- 2022-09-29 J. Huete International takes its high-tech greenhouse models to Fruit Attraction
- 2022-09-29 Flemish agriculture and horticulture open house during Agriculture Day
- 2022-09-28 "In these tough times, the strawberry sector must find solutions"
- 2022-09-28 Protected cropping: an open day to explore the latest trends
- 2022-09-27 Join the knowledge hub at Asia Fruit Logistica 2022
- 2022-09-27 Taiwan fact-finding mission on cold chain for horticulture
- 2022-09-27 Wageningen University organizes course on Postharvest Technology
- 2022-09-26 2022 Canadian Greenhouse Conference takes place next week
- 2022-09-26 Fresh fruit & vegetable industry Virtual Global Sustainability Symposium
- 2022-09-26 France: day 2 of Natexpo 2022
- 2022-09-26 Dutch company presents packaging lines at Business Relation Days
- 2022-09-26 Exploring organic grower challenges and solutions
- 2022-09-26 'Back British Farming Day' rescheduled to Wednesday 2 November
- 2022-09-26 CPMA hosts 2022 semi-annual board of directors meetings
- 2022-09-22 Last day of the Vertical Farming World Congress
- 2022-09-21 Online training course: Tips and tricks for surviving the energy crisis