Michael Quach grows two-and-a-half hectares of cucumbers near Lake Bennett; 60 percent of those are hydroponic. He has increased his farm biosecurity measures since the Cucumber Green Mottle Mosaic Virus (CGMMV) was detected in the Top End in 2014.
His efforts have been recognised, with Mr Quach named as a finalist in ABC Rural's Farmer of the Year awards. Mr Quach practices covered cropping and has divided his property into growing zones. Workers moving between farming zones are required to wash their hands and disinfect and clean their shears.
"Every morning before work we do chlorine foot baths to kill bacteria, viruses, or anything there," he said. "Even if they go to the bathroom they have to do the same thing."
Mr Quach has hired a biosecurity manager from Taiwan to educate his predominantly Taiwanese workforce. "Most of my workers are backpackers from Taiwan and I want them to understand so my manager can explain it clearer than I can."
- Bedding and Perennials Sales Manager Europe
- Horticultural Technician
- Head Grower Strawberries, Norway
- Tissue Culture Laboratory Scientist
- Manager Operations & Logistics
- Vegetable Advisor (Permanent)
- Horticultural Commercial Director
- Senior Operations Manager Nursery
- EU Sales and Region manager
Top 5 - yesterday
- GreenTech Americas: a resilient industry through challenging times
- Research uncovers a new approach to cooling greenhouse irrigation water
- Pepsico’s greenhouse accelerator program call for applications is now open
- What role do weeds play in the transmission of ToBRFV?
- Spain: Phase 1 of tomato glasshouse completed and operational, phase 2 underway
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- "We harvest 40,000 heads of lettuce per day"
- How a New Zealand grower has built and is expanding a successful multi-fruit orchard
- Japanese Berry Pop fresh strawberry seeds now available for global markets
- Kuwait: Aeroponic greenhouse to continue country's effort to cut down import
- Spain: Cost of greenhouse tomato production up by 34% in Almería
Farmer of the Year Awards: Michael Quach
Australian cucumber grower vies for biosecurity award
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-03-21 IE: "Growers need greater support"
- 2023-03-21 India: Start-up provides automation push for hydroponic farm
- 2023-03-21 US (NC): Winston-Salem picks food distribution nonprofit to run hydroponic farm
- 2023-03-17 Good demand and fair average prices for Italian dark green courgettes
- 2023-03-15 Tanzian grower on a mission to boost horti landscape
- 2023-03-14 “We’re trying to do everything we can today so we can hunker down tomorrow”
- 2023-03-13 "I now have almost more photos of bell peppers than of my two-year-old son"
- 2023-03-13 Increasing demand for plastic ducts for soilless cultivation
- 2023-03-10 Tea growers make real horticultural tea together
- 2023-03-10 "We have built a completely separate ecosystem here"
- 2023-03-10 Growing saffron in a container farm
- 2023-03-09 British Columbia: Touch-free leafy greens poised to hit grocery shelves this month
- 2023-03-09 Taking aim at specialities to stand out from the crowd
- 2023-03-09 Quebec greenhouse grower rebrands into Cultures Gen V
- 2023-03-08 Rijk Zwaan partners up with Greenhouse Sisters for Carapaz RZ
- 2023-03-07 Neurodiversity in vertical farming: bringing an overlooked workforce to the forefront
- 2023-03-06 US (GA): Forging pathways to land access for BIPOC growers
- 2023-03-06 “We now ventilate above the screens and that helps us get rid of extra humidity"
- 2023-03-03 Hong Kong youth bring farm hopes to Guangdong
- 2023-03-02 "I prefer the bags over the slabs as they hold a bit more medium per plant"