- Senior Grower UK
- Customer Support Executive
- Sales Representative Substrates Peru
- Head Grower – High Technology Organic Greenhouse
- Import and Export Sales Manager
- Sales Manager - US
- Key Account Manager (f/m/d) - Full-time
- Vice President of Growing Operations
- Account Manager - Canada
- Account Manager - United States
Dutch grower Nico van Adrichem switches from roses to cucumbers
For the past twenty years, Nico has been growing roses, but fierce competition forced him to look for alternative business. He moved from Pijnacker to IJsselmuiden, transformed a vacant rose nursery into a modern greenhouse and started growing cucumbers. Only to find out that the cucumber industry isn’t that rosy either. "Sales are good, but prices are appalling. We have learned to cut costs, but still it’s almost impossible to sustain at these levels,” says Van Adrichem.
Nico is affiliated with growers' cooperative ‘Van Nature’, who takes care of marketing, especially for Scherpenhuizen and Levarht. That works out satisfactorily, but in view of the low prices, Van Adrichem can’t understand why vegetable growers in the Netherlands are so quick to take a beating. "What we should really do is keep our foot down: 25 cents and no lower. Even if it means discarding healthy produce every now and then.”
Discount offers are also a point of debate, according to Van Adrichem. "Last week, retailer Lidl had an offer: Two cucumbers for 25 cents. But that’s preposterous, who’s going to buy 10 cucumbers? Nobody, that’s who! You buy maybe one or two. The cucumber is a fresh product, so basically it's a really weird notion to do it that way."
The market notwithstanding, Ni+Co will stick with cucumbers come February.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-12-07 India: Couple grows exotic produce in hydroponics
- 2023-12-07 US (IL): Container farm makes Quad City debut
- 2023-12-07 "The production increase on an annual basis is about 10 percent"
- 2023-12-07 US (CA): Vine Ripe Tomatoes offering fresh produce all year long
- 2023-12-06 Spain: Rosa de Barbastro tomato production one million less than expected
- 2023-12-05 Italian grower plans to expand tunnel cultivation
- 2023-12-05 Cucumber grower opts for LEDs to reduce energy consumption and up production
- 2023-12-05 "Imbalance in berry chain squeezes both ends: the grower, and the consumer"
- 2023-12-04 South Africa: Gesture helps Soweto residents to put healthy food on the table and boost a local economy
- 2023-12-04 US (MA): Jail supervisor jumps at chance of running aquaponics greenhouse
- 2023-12-04 "In Almeria we have lacked water for 60 years; for us, it is not a new issue"
- 2023-12-01 Former Isle of Wight tomato business land could be turned into houses
- 2023-12-01 "We all need to quickly switch to tropical fruit production in greenhouses"
- 2023-12-01 Bringing affordable specialty mushrooms to tables across Germany
- 2023-11-30 From eggplants to bullseyes: Dirk is the 'Aubergenius'
- 2023-11-29 Goulburn Valley grower abandons crop blaming high mark-ups at supermarkets