- Sales Representative Substrates Peru
- Head Grower – High Technology Organic Greenhouse
- Import and Export Sales Manager
- Sales Manager - US
- Key Account Manager (f/m/d) - Full-time
- Vice President of Growing Operations
- Account Manager - Canada
- Account Manager - United States
- Procurement Manager Blueberries
- International Fruit Trader
"Derek Peterson: "We need people with real commercial agriculture experience"
US: Ag industry unprepared for legalization
There’s some speculation that widespread federal legalization of marijuana is very possible within the next decade. Some companies are betting on that assumption, building infrastructure to avoid getting caught flat-footed if and when legalization occurs.
"The industry is not ready from an infrastructural standpoint if recreational marijuana use becomes widely legal," says Derek Peterson, CEO of Terra Tech. "There’s not currently a backbone to meet that demand."
Peterson’s company hopes it will be one of several that can capitalize on the potential demand. The trick – figuring out a way to run a profitable business until that time. Terra Tech has solved that problem for the time being by creating its Edible Garden brand and contracting with local farmers who grow, pack and ship herbs and leafy greens to area supermarkets and restaurants.
A few simple modifications to their greenhouses, and these farmers can switch out their crops post-legalization. Peterson says he wants to work with commercial farmers, especially those who have experience growing "fussy" crops that need a lot of care and attention to thrive.
"We need people with real commercial agriculture experience," he says.
Click here for the complete article at www.agweb.com
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-11-30 From eggplants to bullseyes: Dirk is the 'Aubergenius'
- 2023-11-29 Goulburn Valley grower abandons crop blaming high mark-ups at supermarkets
- 2023-11-28 Singapore: S$38 strawberry harvesting experience at hydroponics farm near Buona Vista
- 2023-11-27 Malaysia: Cultivating sustainable ways to feed the country
- 2023-11-27 "It's crucial to promote urban farming to boost healthy eating habits in cities"
- 2023-11-27 Ecuador’s blueberry industry is the 'new kid on the block' with 52 weeks supply advantage
- 2023-11-27 Cuba turns to aquaponics to solve food shortage
- 2023-11-27 Indonesian greenhouse sets record with 5.8 kg melon
- 2023-11-24 Little boy is a big fan of broccoli, sleeps with it but doesn't eat it
- 2023-11-24 Berry entrepreneurs in Huelva venture into the medical cannabis industry
- 2023-11-24 “We are only producing first-class products”
- 2023-11-23 US: Mushroom farm yields 800 to 1000lbs weekly
- 2023-11-23 Norway: “We’re matching import prices to break into the market”
- 2023-11-23 Retirement beckons for NZ watercress trailblazers
- 2023-11-23 Introducing North American consumers to greenhouse-grown radishes
- 2023-11-22 US (NC): New partnership creates first-ever indoor hydroponic coffee farm