- Senior Agronomist/Horticulturist and Agronomy/Horticulture Manager
- Growers & Assistant Growers
- Plant Biologist
- Ripening Officer Bananas / Exotics
- Grower and Nurser
- Farm Manager
- Floriculture Production Planning Manager
- Agricultural Mechanic / Crop Sprayer Operator
- Technical Services Manager
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
- Top tips for growing lettuce in a greenhouse
- New packaging for hydroponic fertilizer launched
- UK: Grower reduces greenhouse temperature by more than 6°C during heatwave with no cooling, fog systems
- Taking the wisdom from indoor farming and bringing it into greenhouses
- "Kawaguchi tomato variety good option for consumer, but also good for the grower"
Top 5 -last month
"Derek Peterson: "We need people with real commercial agriculture experience"
US: Ag industry unprepared for legalization
There’s some speculation that widespread federal legalization of marijuana is very possible within the next decade. Some companies are betting on that assumption, building infrastructure to avoid getting caught flat-footed if and when legalization occurs.
"The industry is not ready from an infrastructural standpoint if recreational marijuana use becomes widely legal," says Derek Peterson, CEO of Terra Tech. "There’s not currently a backbone to meet that demand."
Peterson’s company hopes it will be one of several that can capitalize on the potential demand. The trick – figuring out a way to run a profitable business until that time. Terra Tech has solved that problem for the time being by creating its Edible Garden brand and contracting with local farmers who grow, pack and ship herbs and leafy greens to area supermarkets and restaurants.
A few simple modifications to their greenhouses, and these farmers can switch out their crops post-legalization. Peterson says he wants to work with commercial farmers, especially those who have experience growing "fussy" crops that need a lot of care and attention to thrive.
"We need people with real commercial agriculture experience," he says.
Click here for the complete article at www.agweb.com
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-08-16 Angelique Chen designs device to simplify small-space farming
- 2022-08-16 Berry farm cluster model from Panama to the globe
- 2022-08-12 US: Larry Ellison is feeding Hawaii from his high-tech hydroponic farm on Lanai
- 2022-08-12 Technology upgrades and a brand refresh for Australian strawberry producer
- 2022-08-12 Special restaurant experience: 3D visualization of the food's journey to your plate
- 2022-08-11 James, Jack and the 13 feet cucumber plant
- 2022-08-10 UK: "Now into its 16th season, this site is still extremely efficient"
- 2022-08-09 How Singapore is turning multi-story car parks into farms
- 2022-08-09 Italy: New 2 hectare project makes products available all year round
- 2022-08-09 Dutch Berries: 20 hectares of high-tech strawberry cultivation
- 2022-08-08 Japanese strawberry grower increases production thanks to hanging kit
- 2022-08-08 IE: Boyne Valley community greenhouses helping to feed the hungry
- 2022-08-08 NZ: Downsizing crops, but passion for tomatoes remains strong
- 2022-07-22 Belgium: "In comparison to last year, we’ve doubled production, as well as our revenue"
- 2022-07-22 China: New demand for leafy vegetables brings opportunity to the industry
- 2022-07-21 China: Looking into a 73 hectare greenhouse park
- 2022-07-19 How plants are cooling greenhouses during the heatwave
- 2022-07-14 US (NY): Food trends are driving the demand for specialty mushrooms
- 2022-07-12 German retailer Kaufland and horti-family Reichenspurner open new greenhouse
- 2022-07-11 "New farms start operating by the end of the year"