- Sales Representative Substrates Peru
- Head Grower – High Technology Organic Greenhouse
- Import and Export Sales Manager
- Sales Manager - US
- Key Account Manager (f/m/d) - Full-time
- Vice President of Growing Operations
- Account Manager - Canada
- Account Manager - United States
- Procurement Manager Blueberries
- International Fruit Trader
Digital printing breakthrough turns packaging into a communication tool
With digital printing, corrugated board is being transformed from packaging and protection to a new marketing communications medium, thanks to striking print quality, and the possibilities for customisation and creativity in design. "It is a real revolution," said Angelika Christ, FEFCO's Secretary General. "Now, with corrugated packaging, the medium really can become the message".
Angelika Christ, FEFCO's Secretary General.
At the same time, digital printing allows fuller use of new technologies such as QR codes and augmented reality (AR), enhancing the customer experience by making the packaging interactive. One example: Prospective customers for LEGO can scan the box and AR will bring the contents of the box to life on a screen. And along fragmented supply chains, unique QR codes printed on packaging are helping to share data.
Sean Moloney, Sun Automation.
Until now, the technology for digital printing on corrugated board has been mainly used for display POS and short-run samples. But this one-day seminar, “High Volume Digital Printing on Corrugated Board”, showcased how leading printer manufacturers can now produce high-volume, high-quality and competitively priced digital printing on corrugated board. New digital printing equipment was presented by ESKO, BOBST, Hewlett-Packard, Sun Automation, Barberan and XANTÉ, all capable of transforming corrugated board into customised and customer-oriented packaging and displays.
The challenges that this technology is also overcoming include ensuring brand colour consistency with digital print. But some of the challenges have to be met by changes in working pattern too - and notably by workflow automation. Digital print makes more numerous but shorter print runs possible - responding to the changing dynamics in fast-moving consumer goods markets. This gives rise to greater administration and re-organising the prepress work. According to Marc Van Damme, FEFCO Production Committee Chairman and Chief Technical Officer for VPK Packaging Group: “It’s not just about switching to digital, it’s about rethinking your work process”.
"Digital printing on corrugated board is no hype - it is a solution ready for use in everyday production," concluded Angelika Christ.
For more information:
Tel: +32 2 6500832
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-12-01 "Cellulose nets will also gain a foothold in the conventional sector"
- 2023-11-28 New cling film technology provides certified recyclable alternative to PVC films
- 2023-11-27 Europe wants to save the planet, but its share of plastic pollution is only 5 percent
- 2023-11-23 New solution adds value and ease to machine-harvested blueberries
- 2023-11-22 "There will be no regression to classic plastic packaging"
- 2023-11-20 What will the war on plastic cost the fresh produce industry?
- 2023-11-14 A smart solution for packing small fruits and mushrooms
- 2023-11-14 Plug plant and seed tray packs ensure safe seed deliveries
- 2023-11-13 More and more innovations in advanced packaging
- 2023-11-07 WPTC European tomato production update
- 2023-11-07 Compostable packaging: keeping produce fresh and sustainable
- 2023-11-06 "In the end, rising freight costs lead to higher offer prices in retail"
- 2023-11-02 "Cold chain temperature monitoring maximizes shelf-life and reduces food waste"
- 2023-11-02 Dutch branch Celtic Refrigeration has bankruptcy declared - talks on restart ongoing
- 2023-11-01 Corrugated packaging gets smarter and greener
- 2023-11-01 "With the press of a button, from 200g iceberg lettuce to 600g spinach"