- Grower Manager Fresh Produce
- Senior Commercial Manager (Sales and Procurement)
- Packing Supervisor
- Head Grower Greenhouse Canada
- Post Entry Quarantine Facility Manager
- Economic Policy Officer Agri-Tech Kentucky
- Licensing Manager North America
- Junior Sales Executive
- Fruit Breeder/Trait Discovery Scientist
- General Manager
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
- Combining vertical farming and greenhouse horticulture to decentralize lettuce production
- Mexico: Rising Farms boosts capacity fivefold
- Higher light transmission and lower heat demand with double foil greenhouse
- Fresh produce chain hit by Lakeside Produce’s bankruptcy
- Conventional and organic: greenhouse grower does it all
New Zealand: Local nursery to close it doors
"This year our main sponsors cut back the money we received and Taranaki Regional Council chopped our tender, so the operation was no longer profitable."
He didn't want to say who the sponsors were except that they were organisations, not individual donors.
The nursery was also disappointed to learn TRC wanted fewer of its plants in the public tender process. Until recently it had supplied about 8000 native shrubs to the riparian planting programme. The nursery was already experiencing funding issues and the reduced tender was the last straw.
Two staff - a fulltime garden supervisor and part-time worker - had been made redundant and the plant stock was being sold off in public plant sales. Other nursery facilities such as a large shade house could be leased out.
The nursery operation used volunteer workers but they had become harder to find, Mr Littlewood said.
However, it continued to use community corrections workers in its veggie gardens with food harvested regularly for Friday food parcels.
Click here to learn more at stuff.co.nz
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-02-07 Exotic produce grow in Nova Scotia greenhouse
- 2023-02-07 Micro greens, big impact: urban farm generates wealth, food, and education in underserved part of Chicago
- 2023-02-06 Mauritius: Minister Bholah visits hydroponic farm in Triolet to take stock of progress
- 2023-02-01 Philippines: High-tech greenhouse becomes tourist attraction
- 2023-02-01 "The availability of affordable heat is of vital importance"
- 2023-01-27 Japan: Lemons defy the cold in 'Snow Country' greenhouses
- 2023-01-26 Can cucumbers save a cannabis company?
- 2023-01-25 US (PA): Peach Hill Orchard invests in new hydroponic farming greenhouse for lettuce and tomato growing
- 2023-01-25 Combining vertical farming and greenhouse horticulture to decentralize lettuce production
- 2023-01-20 Palestinian farmer grows strawberries under water scarcity
- 2023-01-19 India: Grower moves to sustainable cultivation and reaps success
- 2023-01-17 Latvia: First greenhouse to grow cucumbers under LEDs uses landfill waste to produce energy
- 2023-01-16 Get in shape: Wittenberg Gemüse organizes greenhouse run
- 2023-01-16 India: Growing strawberries, oyster mushrooms and other exotic vegetables in arid Jodhpur
- 2023-01-16 US (WA) : Food coop donates $100,000 to Viva Farms
- 2023-01-12 Paving the way for sustainable greenhouse cultivation in China
- 2023-01-12 Conventional and organic: greenhouse grower does it all
- 2023-01-11 A Palestinian engineer-turned-farmer excels in innovative agriculture in besieged gaza
- 2023-01-10 “It’s always good to learn new things. The way we grow has changed quite a lot over the years.”
- 2023-01-10 US (NV): Small family farm in Moapa meets high demand