- Sales Representative Substrates Peru
- Head Grower – High Technology Organic Greenhouse
- Import and Export Sales Manager
- Sales Manager - US
- Key Account Manager (f/m/d) - Full-time
- Vice President of Growing Operations
- Account Manager - Canada
- Account Manager - United States
- Procurement Manager Blueberries
- International Fruit Trader
Dramatic year for Belgian tomato growers
All in a heap
"With tomatoes it was so bad that some portions were even destroyed. The main reason was increased demand and this year the Spring was late so the season began all at once." Benny indicates that there are still tomatoes on the market. "We will continue with the last produce until mid December/Christmas, then the Autumn crop until January/February. Over the last few days there has been a slight improvement in the market but to say that it is wonderful, would not be the case. The price for vine tomatoes see-saws around the 70-80 cents mark. Loose tomatoes, dependant on the size, also go for between 75-95 cent."
We will have to wait and see what the outcome will be for next year. "We still don't know what the total area will be. There could be changes and some growers might stop, but we won't know for sure until the New Year. It is, of course, not unthinkable that after such a poor tomato year that there may be changes to come in the greenhouse sector."
For more information:
Leuvensesteenweg 130 A
tel +32 (0)15 50 42 50
fax +32 (0)15 50 42 60
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-11-30 Brussels greenlights EU-New Zealand trade deal
- 2023-11-30 "Moroccan tomatoes sell well in Spain and the UK, but Dutch clients must get used to the prices"
- 2023-11-30 Survey: Prioritizing the challenges that accompany CEA spinach production
- 2023-11-29 "In recent years, romanesco broccoli has offered interesting price stability"
- 2023-11-29 “Saturated” French tomato market
- 2023-11-29 Ireland: 44% farm income drop is a serious concern, says IFA president
- 2023-11-29 Bank of Kigali advises Rwandan agri-exporters on its financial solutions
- 2023-11-28 Dutch tomato exports fell by 8% on the European market - first eight months of 2023
- 2023-11-28 Next year’s freight rate expectations have sunk well below the waterline
- 2023-11-28 Flood control measures in place in Kenya as Karimenu II dam fills up
- 2023-11-28 Movement of blueberries from Mexico expected about the same
- 2023-11-28 Rees-Mogg criticized after calling on 'cheap food imports' to replace UK seasonal workers
- 2023-11-28 "Weather extremes affect the whole supply chain"
- 2023-11-28 US: Biden-Harris administration partners with ag producers to strengthen supply chains and lower food costs
- 2023-11-28 Philippines: DA provides seedlings and other urgent aid to earthquake-affected farmers and fisherfolk in Mindanao
- 2023-11-28 In Israel, strawberries have surged to 29,3 euro per kilogram and above