Policella Farms, a 4th generation, family owned, grower, packer, and shipper of premium greenhouse tomatoes, peppers, seedless cucumbers and other specialty products, announced that they recently expanded their HACCP certified packing warehouse to 1,170,000 cu. ft, and completed their 200 KW Solar Project. Policella farms operates two state-of-the-art facilities, one in Kingsville, Ontario and the other in Detroit, Michigan.
The new warehouse uses the latest state-of-the-art energy efficient technology available today, including:
• 100% recyclable, insulated, and Energy Star rated building panels
• LED Lighting throughout the entire facility
• High-efficiency refrigeration system
• More than 1000 Solar Panels running into 20 invertors allowing them to perform at peak capacity even on days with low light levels
These initiatives propel Policella Farms further in their goal to reduce the company’s carbon footprint for a cleaner, greener future for the next generation. The energy generated from this project will be equivalent to the following annually:
• Reducing 388,000 lb CO 2
• Planting 20 acres of pine trees annually
• Saving 194 Barrels of Oil consumption
The company’s ongoing commitment to green practices is reflected in their day-to-day operations including:
• Integrated Pest Management
• use of certified organic, bio-degradable coco fibre
• the recapture, storage, sterilization and reuse of greenhouse water
• high efficiency energy curtains to reduce energy consumption
• high efficiency natural gas boilers that capture CO2 and reintroduce it to the greenhouse to assist in optimal plant growth
Good corporate citizenship and environmental stewardship have long been a hallmark of this 4th generation family-owned greenhouse grower shipper. “At Policella Farms, we’re taking a strong leadership position by investing in green technology that will reduce the industry’s dependence on fossil fuels and promote good green practices,” says Rick Policella, Vice President of Sales and Marketing.
Policella Farms solar project alone greatly reduces the company’s carbon footprint making the Environment Cleaner, and Greener for generations to come.
For more information: