- Customer Support Executive
- Sales Representative Substrates Peru
- Head Grower – High Technology Organic Greenhouse
- Import and Export Sales Manager
- Sales Manager - US
- Key Account Manager (f/m/d) - Full-time
- Vice President of Growing Operations
- Account Manager - Canada
- Account Manager - United States
- Procurement Manager Blueberries
Indian university develops method to farm fish in greenhouses
Usually, greenhouse technology uses controlled and modified climatic conditions for growing crops which otherwise is not possible in the open because of unsuitable climate.
The greenhouse technology for fish farming has been developed by AAU basically to breed fish in winter, which conventional fisheries find difficult; and supply the fingerlings much ahead of time to the fish farmers.
"The idea of greenhouse fishery came to me during one of the recent visits of chief minister Tarun Gogoi to Jorhat. During interactions with fish farmers, one of them said that if they could get fingerlings by first week of March instead of late May, they would get more rearing time and improve fish production," AAU vice chancellor, K M Bujarbaruah told TOI.
Bujarbaruah said if fingerlings are to be supplied to fish farmers by the first week of March, breeding has to be carried out during Winter (December-February). However, during these months temperature remains low and this hampers growth of fishes.
"We started to work out how we can artificially increase the temperature in winter to help fish growth. Then the idea of a greenhouse came to my mind. Many were skeptical about using greenhouse technology for fish farming. Even manufacturers were initially reluctant because they have not designed green houses for fish farming yet. I insisted and we got a specially-designed greenhouse installed," said Bujarbaruah.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-12-06 Closing greenhouses in Kazakhstan: problems, culprits, and solutions
- 2023-12-06 Malaysia: Agro aid for Hydroponic innnovation, entrepreneurial growth
- 2023-12-06 "What we are going to do here is unique"
- 2023-12-06 Another expansion for Canadian propagator
- 2023-12-05 Ukraine: Greenhouse complex using geothermal energy will be built for EUR 68 mln in Lviv region
- 2023-12-05 Inmates will work in the greenhouse in Amasya prison, Turkey
- 2023-12-05 95% of greenhouses in Turkmenistan specialize in tomato production
- 2023-12-04 Storm causes significant damage to greenhouses in Konya, Turkey
- 2023-12-04 Greenhouse vegetable growers in Kazakhstan can receive 25% subsidies
- 2023-12-04 Mongolia: 22-ha greenhouse to be completed before year end
- 2023-12-01 Conviction in fraudulent funds for aquaponic project
- 2023-12-01 Liberia: Solidaridad constructs the first post-war cocoa greenhouse
- 2023-11-30 Greenhouse grower receives award for ‘Together’ campaign
- 2023-11-30 US (IN): Lilly greenhouses to be remodeled as ‘Purdue Moves’ forward in research
- 2023-11-30 Dutch strawberry growers open new location
- 2023-11-29 Guyana: Three-acre greenhouse commissioned at Plympton Farms