Top 5 -yesterday
- UK: Grower reduces greenhouse temperature by more than 6°C during heatwave with no cooling, fog systems
- Understanding the profitability of your greenhouse
- Agave: The new drought-tolerant California crop?
- Patromex and DIDIHU partnership invests in modern plant for value-added coconut substrates
- US: Larry Ellison is feeding Hawaii from his high-tech hydroponic farm on Lanai
Top 5 -last month
- Vertical farming technologies tool in researching and fighting diseases
- German retailer Kaufland and horti-family Reichenspurner open new greenhouse
- "Water is the new gold"
- Growing strawberries from seeds becoming increasingly popular
- Higher productivity and earliness are the story behind these pink greenhouses
US: Greenhouse produce market to grow over $4 Billion by 2020
The report, authored by Karen Halliburton Barber, Senior Analyst -Produce at FAR, addresses a variety of opportunities for the industry as it grows. "There is a growing preference among US Retail and Foodservice buyers for greenhouse produce," said Barber. "These buyers are seeking the quality and reliability of supply that greenhouse products provide."
Although greenhouse produce is estimated to only represent 1 to 2 percent of overall US fresh fruit and vegetable production there are important trends to keep an eye on. Greenhouse tomatoes today account for as much as 70 percent of sales. This concentration in business is an indication that the key challenges noted in the report, costs and competition, are not insurmountable.
The report concludes noting that growth in greenhouse production is likely to continue in the near term. A core challenge to that growth will be educating the consumer while differentiating high-tech greenhouse products from lower-tech products. Stricter labeling laws as well as greater awareness of certification programs already in place in the US and Canada can aid in this education as well. Success in the niche is expected to continue to favor the most efficient, reliable and experienced producers with advantages in marketing, geography and technology.
A full copy of the report is available to the media upon request. Please note that the report is for informational purposes only and may not be reproduced, distributed or published in whole or in part, for any purpose, except with prior written consent by Rabobank, N.A.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-08-11 Canadian grower adds space to indoor strawberry farm
- 2022-08-09 CAN (OB): Ever Tru Farms launches 15-acre expansion
- 2022-07-22 Australian HFF inducts two life members with an incredible story of greenhouse construction in Mongolia
- 2022-07-22 US: architect develops greenhouse for his Boston neighborhood
- 2022-07-21 China: Smart greenhouses boost yields
- 2022-07-21 A schoolgirl from Kazakhstan has developed a "smart" greenhouse
- 2022-07-21 Australia: Tomatoes and jobs to grow in Tatura
- 2022-07-13 California open field grower expands into hydroponic lettuces
- 2022-07-11 Iowa family farm sees success with tunnel greenhouses
- 2022-07-07 Evolving tomato cultivation in Ontario
- 2022-07-05 Oman: Jusoor Foundation to produce saplings and citrus plants in greenhouses
- 2022-07-05 Naturvillan is a self-sufficient, off-grid A-frame greenhouse home in Sweden
- 2022-06-30 US (ME): ‘Crew of octogenarians’ builds greenhouse in Lewiston yard
- 2022-06-30 CAN: Abegweit First Nation invests in food security with new greenhouse
- 2022-06-30 Finnish propagator Sigg-Plant expands capacity with 40%
- 2022-06-29 Twentyfour-year-old Saudi farmer engineers a blooming desert
- 2022-06-29 Canada: Church greenhouse program supports migrant workers
- 2022-06-29 S. Korean smart farm technology creates cooling greenhouses in Vietnam
- 2022-06-28 'Growing together by sharing the Chinese 'pie'
- 2022-06-28 Amazon seeks to convert Great Falls nursery into a greenhouse