- Sales Representative Substrates Peru
- Head Grower – High Technology Organic Greenhouse
- Import and Export Sales Manager
- Sales Manager - US
- Key Account Manager (f/m/d) - Full-time
- Vice President of Growing Operations
- Account Manager - Canada
- Account Manager - United States
- Procurement Manager Blueberries
- International Fruit Trader
US: Greenhouse produce market to grow over $4 Billion by 2020
The report, authored by Karen Halliburton Barber, Senior Analyst -Produce at FAR, addresses a variety of opportunities for the industry as it grows. "There is a growing preference among US Retail and Foodservice buyers for greenhouse produce," said Barber. "These buyers are seeking the quality and reliability of supply that greenhouse products provide."
Although greenhouse produce is estimated to only represent 1 to 2 percent of overall US fresh fruit and vegetable production there are important trends to keep an eye on. Greenhouse tomatoes today account for as much as 70 percent of sales. This concentration in business is an indication that the key challenges noted in the report, costs and competition, are not insurmountable.
The report concludes noting that growth in greenhouse production is likely to continue in the near term. A core challenge to that growth will be educating the consumer while differentiating high-tech greenhouse products from lower-tech products. Stricter labeling laws as well as greater awareness of certification programs already in place in the US and Canada can aid in this education as well. Success in the niche is expected to continue to favor the most efficient, reliable and experienced producers with advantages in marketing, geography and technology.
A full copy of the report is available to the media upon request. Please note that the report is for informational purposes only and may not be reproduced, distributed or published in whole or in part, for any purpose, except with prior written consent by Rabobank, N.A.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-11-30 Greenhouse grower receives award for ‘Together’ campaign
- 2023-11-30 US (IN): Lilly greenhouses to be remodeled as ‘Purdue Moves’ forward in research
- 2023-11-30 Dutch strawberry growers open new location
- 2023-11-29 Guyana: Three-acre greenhouse commissioned at Plympton Farms
- 2023-11-27 UK: MP gets a look at high-tech facilities at Hadlow College
- 2023-11-24 Japanese project to increase agricultural development in Luzon
- 2023-11-24 Greenhouse expansion in Tajikistan: a catalyst for year-round agricultural growth
- 2023-11-23 US (FL): Horti complex enters second phase of development
- 2023-11-23 Kazakhstan: 605 farmer's greenhouses receive certification according to national standards
- 2023-11-22 Turkish Cooperation and Coordination Agency (TİKA) installed two greenhouses in Somalia, each with a 250 sq meters area
- 2023-11-21 A greenhouse for seedlings for 250 thousand plants was built in the Kaliningrad region
- 2023-11-17 US (TX): 10-acre expansion completed for Temple-based greenhouse
- 2023-11-17 CED invests 1.5m CAD in Harnois Industries
- 2023-11-17 Belarus: Year-round cucumber cultivation will be achieved after greenhouse modernization in the Kirov district
- 2023-11-17 Philippines: Greenhouse project launched in Eastern Samar town
- 2023-11-16 China: Govt. donates greenhouse project to Guiuan town