- VP Growing Operations
- Head Grower Strawberries, Australia
- Growing Manager for Hydroponic strawberry producer
- Farm Manager Costa Rica
- Regional Sales Manager Fresh Produce
- Head Grower Strawberries, Norway
- Export Trade Manager
- Business Developer - Northern Europe
- Orchard Sector Manager
East-West Seed and Seminis announce strategic collaboration in Indonesia
This collaboration applies to hot pepper, tomato and other vegetable seed varieties, including the popular hot pepper varieties known by their registered variety denominations of “TM999”, “Hot Chili” and “Krida”.
These varieties were developed by Seminis and previously distributed by third parties. Beginning August 2013, they will be relaunched under East-West Seed’s “Cap Panah Merah” brand and become available exclusively from East-West Seed. East-West Seed will handle all sales, marketing, promotion and production of products under this collaboration.
“We are excited to see the strong brand of East-West Seed in Indonesia combined with the superb germplasm of Seminis. This partnership will bring together our marketing and business expertise, along with an excellent portfolio of products – all in the effort to better serve our farmer customers,” said Glenn Pardede, Managing Director of PT East West Seed Indonesia.
There is a wide window of opportunity for growth in Indonesia’s vegetable farming sector. Presently the area harvested to vegetables is 1.05 million hectares, producing 10 million tones of fresh vegetables, according to the UN-FAO.
Vegetable consumption in the country could still be vastly improved. The world’s largest archipelago, Indonesia has by far the highest population in Southeast Asia at 240 million. Indonesians consume vegetables at an average of 40kg per capita per year, below the Southeast Asia average of 50-60 kgs per capita per year.
“More and more farmers are seeing the potential for good quality seeds which will impact vegetable production significantly. This distribution partnership will ensure better coverage and efficiency in making quality vegetable seed varieties available to famers in Indonesia. This fits with our mission to provide innovative products and services that help increase farmers’ income and promote the growth and quality of the vegetable farming industry,” he added.
“We are thrilled about the opportunity to partner with East-West Seed in Indonesia,” said Ben Hoodless, Seminis Asia Pacific Business Lead.
“Our focus will remain on leveraging our leading R&D capabilities to develop and trial new innovative products for Indonesian growers, while supporting our new partner East-West Seed to produce, market and distribute the highest quality seeds to the market,” he added.
Beyond this marketing partnership in Indonesia, the two parties East-West Seed and Seminis remain independent and separately existing companies.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-09-29 US (KY): "This farm was sold out as soon as it opened"
- 2023-09-29 "For growers and retailers, we're an open book"
- 2023-09-29 BioSafe Systems mourns the loss of Michael Larose
- 2023-09-29 “We empower growers to excel in cost-effective cultivation, ensuring long-term success"
- 2023-09-29 Lebanon needs greenhouses for food safety and security too
- 2023-09-29 Eurofins Food Assurance acquires ARS Probata
- 2023-09-29 Said El Ouakili to join Kubo
- 2023-09-28 CAN: Provincial government investing in infrastructure for vegetable production
- 2023-09-28 “We help companies across continents resolve disputes”
- 2023-09-28 "Product availability is our biggest challenge by far"
- 2023-09-28 "From biocontrol to packaging and everything in between"
- 2023-09-28 Primeur Fruit Attraction Edition now available to read online
- 2023-09-28 "By pooling our knowledge and networks in Spain and the Netherlands together, we are turning 1+1 into 3"
- 2023-09-28 ScottsMiracle-Gro announces executive team retirements and reorganization
- 2023-09-27 Infarm's Dutch branch declared bankrupt
- 2023-09-27 ISO appoints Martin Maasland as CEO
- 2023-09-27 Said El Ouakili joins KUBO as new Regional Sales Director
- 2023-09-27 Vivent receives new funding to expand market for 'wearables for plants'
- 2023-09-27 Jordi Ferre joins Coolsan Australia’s mission to get more food to more mouths
- 2023-09-27 Developer of cultivation systems declared bankrupt