- Head of Agronomy: Research & Development - Berlin, Germany
- Africa Fruit Export Sales Manager - South Africa
- Grower - Philippines
- Assistant technical manager
- Food Safety and Quality Director - South Bend (IN) USA
- Commercial Manager - United Kingdom or The Netherlands
- Tomato Grower, Chapais - Canada
- Director of UbiGro Sales - California, Oregon, Colorado, Arizona, and Nevada USA
- UbiGro Sales Representative - California, USA
- Greenhouse Crop Specialist - Southwestern Ontario, Canada
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
- "New lettuce concept meets demand for greater convenience for grower and consumer alike"
- Plant-based fertilizer behind first line of USDA certified organic greenhouse lettuce
- "I spent many hours in front of my computer, now I'm connected to nature again"
- Scientists unlock potential to yield “diet” fruit
- "Our goal is to reach more than 400 hectares in the next 3 years"
Top 5 -last month
Morgan Pattison, Solid State Lighting Services:
"Advancements in LED will have major impact on horticulture"
“Professor Nakamura was instrumental in showing me the importance of this technology and this put me in a good position to be involved with LED research,” said Pattison.
Pattison started Solid State Lighting Services Inc. in 2008. The company, which focuses on LED lighting, provides technical consulting to other companies and organizations assisting in understanding how the technology of LEDs fits together.
In January 2018, DOE released a horticultural lighting energy report, Energy Savings Potential of SSL in Horticultural Applications. Pattison, who was one of the coauthors of the report, said the publication addresses the energy implications for horticultural lighting and transitioning it from conventional sources to LEDs.
“I engage with horticultural experts in talks and meetings to try to connect them with my understanding of LED technologies so that they can make informed research decisions,” he said. “There is a lot of information floating around about horticultural lighting. Because there are not a lot of defined characterization standards, it is more difficult to debunk some of the claims being made.
“From a market perspective or a consumer perspective, having more comparable performance of products is important, and that requires test standards. Everybody needs to be speaking the same language in terms of test characterization standards for products. This is something that happened very similarly with general illumination. Before there were standards that were applicable to LED lighting, there were all sorts of wild claims from lighting producers that really kind of flooded the market and slowed down the adoption of the technology. That is a market need that exists for horticulture. The standards for LEDs are what A.J. Both at Rutgers University has been working on. He got the idea from the existing lighting label for general illumination. LED lighting for general illumination went through the same growing pains that are now occurring with LED horticultural lighting.”
Read more at Cornell University (David Kuack)
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2021-02-26 Bram's adventures at home and abroad
- 2021-02-26 "We see a light recipe as a movie"
- 2021-02-26 "We offer the agriculture industry an alternative to Microsoft"
- 2021-02-26 Hotter, drier, CRISPR: editing plants for climate change
- 2021-02-26 Turning crop waste into high-value fashion products
- 2021-02-26 New lightweight portable deck showcased
- 2021-02-26 New lubricant for engines on non-natural gas
- 2021-02-25 What is DLI and why is it essential?
- 2021-02-25 "Self sufficiency is at the top of the Chinese agenda"
- 2021-02-25 Mardi presents new technologies for improved banana & chilli production
- 2021-02-25 Malaysian agritech: Precision farming with AI, IoT and 5G
- 2021-02-25 A.P. Moller - Maersk will operate the world’s first carbon neutral liner vessel by 2023
- 2021-02-24 Plug-and-play lighting system allows growers to identify targeted light conditions
- 2021-02-24 Success and sustainability when oxidizing algae
- 2021-02-23 New LED solution launched
- 2021-02-23 "Precision agriculture lets us have a better control of our crops"
- 2021-02-22 "Minisprayers save hours of work"
- 2021-02-22 Study on the effect of red & blue rich LEDs vs fluorescent light on Lollo Rosso Lettuce
- 2021-02-22 New generation of optical sensors ready for introduction
- 2021-02-19 “Always growing” motto reality thanks to grow lights