- Looking for an opportunity in India
- Procurement & Sales Manager, Potato Division - Lobinstown, Co. Meath, Ireland
- European regional agent and new sales manager
- Head Grower - Owatonna (Minnesota) USA
- Teeltspecialist (Proeftuin & Veredeling) - Hendrik-Ido-Ambacht, Netherlands
- Farm Manager - Riana, Tasmania, Australia
- Industry Development Manager - Rocklea, Australia
- Commercial Manager | Huelva, Spain | Soft Fruits
- Farm manager / Senior grower seeking for his next role
- Fruit Export Junior Sales Manager (Europe Division)
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
- 'Blueberry used to be an extensive crop, but is becoming more and more intensive"
- Cooling a soilless growing facility even in extreme climates
- Corona-update: OECD says global economy will suffer for years to come
- Spain: Almeria buckles under virus pressure
- “It’s not the growers filling their boots at the moment”
Top 5 -last month
Nigeria: Maximising advantages of greenhouse farming
It takes a shorter period - two months - for greenhouse-produced tomatoes to mature, while it takes a minimum of three months with outdoor farming. Due to controlled irrigation and temperatures, the crop sports a continuous output of flowers and fruits, all at different stages. And one plant has a potential of up to 15 kilogrammes at first harvest, going up to 60 kilogrammes by the time it has completed its full cycle.
The plant vines are supported inside the greenhouse with sticks and strings, growing up to 50 metres in height. If well looked after, the minimum plot of land under greenhouse production can yield up to 5,000 tonnes of tomatoes per cycle.
An agronomist at Agronet, a greenhouse farm located around new Bodija, Ibadan, said the farm had recorded 3,500 kilogrammes of tomatoes from 1000 plants. He, however, said it requires adequate attention and commitment to do well.
Click here to read the complete article at tribune.com.ng
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2020-04-01 Response of tilapia and tomato to the complementation of nutrients in an aquaponic system
- 2020-03-31 Effects of exogenous spermidine on root metabolism of cucumber seedlings under salt stress by GC-MS
- 2020-03-31 Fearing shortages, people are planting more vegetables
- 2020-03-30 N:K ratio for phenological growth stages of net melon cultivated in NFT hydroponic system
- 2020-03-27 "Prevention is better than cure"
- 2020-03-26 Purple sprouting broccoli: Profitable new crop for US growers
- 2020-03-25 "We can build on hygiene procedures, now focussing on staff health"
- 2020-03-24 India: New technology to grow seedlings in trays introduced
- 2020-03-23 Is containerized blackberry production ready for prime time?
- 2020-03-23 Evaluated water stress tolerant basil cultivars
- 2020-03-23 Namibia builds resilience to climate change
- 2020-03-20 Controlled environment production for safe consumption
- 2020-03-17 Assosementi on securing the supply of seeds to safeguard the future
- 2020-03-17 United Arab Emirates: Raspberries and blackberries grown commercially for the first time
- 2020-03-16 Mastering hydroponic growing systems
- 2020-03-13 Vellsam offers solution to improve the rooting and growth in strawberry cultivation
- 2020-03-12 Improving processing vegetable yields through improved production practices
- 2020-03-11 Growing daikon radish in a greenhouse
- 2020-03-10 Space lettuce found to be safe and nutritious
- 2020-03-10 Faster plant growth through more efficient photosynthesis