Sign up for our daily Newsletter and stay up to date with all the latest news!

Subscribe I am already a subscriber

You are using software which is blocking our advertisements (adblocker).

As we provide the news for free, we are relying on revenues from our banners. So please disable your adblocker and reload the page to continue using this site.

Click here for a guide on disabling your adblocker.

Sign up for our daily Newsletter and stay up to date with all the latest news!

Subscribe I am already a subscriber

New Zealand: Plant imports price increases: submissions from NZPPI and members

Submissions closed last week on MPI's proposal to substantially increase fees for diagnostic testing and use of Level 3B post-entry quarantine greenhouses and a new greenhouse booking policy. The changes are to be introduced next month.

Full details on the proposed changes are available here.

NZPPI has put in a submission on the proposals along with a number of producer members. The main points in the submissions included:

  • Issues with the consultation process: criticism of the delayed release of cost information, the short timeframe for submissions, and the proposed implementation date of December. Recommendations to delay the increase until July 1, 2024, to align with MPI's legislated changes to fees policy implementation.
  • Adverse impact on plant imports, diversity, and food security: concern the proposed new pricing will lead to significantly higher operational costs, potentially reducing the volume of plant imports. This reduction is particularly concerning given New Zealand's reliance on imported plant germplasm for maintaining the quality and diversity of its plant life, including food plants.
  • Concerns about the potential for increased smuggling attempts due to high prices.
  • Recommendations for reasonable pricing adjustments to align only with inflationary costs and retain staged pricing breaks. This approach would recognize the reduced costs associated with multiple subsequent tests and help mitigate the financial burden on importers.
  • Need for review and international compliance: there is a call for a review of all import health standards that require onshore diagnostic testing and/or L3B quarantine. The substantial rise in costs necessitates a re-evaluation of these requirements, considering the direct cost impact on importers and the need to align with international legal agreements.
  • Collaborative approach and government-industry agreement: A collaborative agreement between the government and industry is needed to determine appropriate price settings and ensure a streamlined import process.


Publication date: