Prediction of tomatoes freshness using infrared thermography

The importance and benefits of Infrared thermography has been extended beyond industrial applications and now found more usefulness in different areas of agriculture, especially in predicting the quality of harvested produce.

In Africa, tomato consumption is very high as most African delicacies are incomplete or cannot be processed without the use of tomatoes. However, the authenticity in terms of quality and safety of the highly consumed tomatoes is subject to doubt. This problem is compounded by a lack of fast and appropriate technologies to predict the quality of agricultural produce.

Fresh samples of Roma VF tomatoes (150 samples) seen to be free from any physical defects were acquired from three different vegetable markets in Ile-Ife, Nigeria, to compare the level of freshness of the tomatoes available for consumption. The thermograms of the samples were taken using a FLIR T200 Infrared Camera. The thermograms were captured on the day the tomatoes were purchased (1) and thereafter every 24 hours for 5 consecutive days under a standard room temperature storage condition. Thermograms were analyzed with quick-report FLIR software.

The result of the analysis on day 1 shows that 80% of the tomato samples had anomalies with a mean minimum temperature of 30 ºC and were classified as not as fresh as physically justified. The defective samples deteriorated faster than the remaining 20% without any noticeable anomaly that were classified fresh with a mean minimum temperature of 32.2 ºC. The fresh tomatoes were observed to have an extended shelf life and therefore recommended for consumption until after five days of storage when their mean temperature dropped below 31ºC. This study showed that infrared thermography is appropriate for tomato quality assessment as against visual inspection. Thermography is thereby presented as suitable for building a fast online system for predicting the deterioration rate in tomatoes and other perishable food produce.

Atta, Adekunle & Ogunsina, Babatunde & Adegbenjo, Adeyemi & Awe, Olusegun. (2023). PREDICTION OF TOMATOES FRESHNESS USING INFRARED THERMOGRAPHY. 27. 147-157. 

Read the complete paper at

Publication date:

Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here

Other news in this sector:

Sign up for our daily Newsletter and stay up to date with all the latest news!

Subscribe I am already a subscriber

You are using software which is blocking our advertisements (adblocker).

As we provide the news for free, we are relying on revenues from our banners. So please disable your adblocker and reload the page to continue using this site.

Click here for a guide on disabling your adblocker.