The Bulgarian Food Safety Agency (BFSA) has issued a recall for a spinach product on suspicion that it might be mixed with jimsonweed leaves.
The agency did some urgent checks after receiving reports about two Targovishte residents who felt unwell and were diagnosed with possible atropine poisoning. Another Kostinbrod resident sent photos of bagged spinach of the same brand, in which leaves resembling jimsonweed could be seen.
The spinach, which was bought from a retail chain in Kostinbrod and a hypermarket in Targovishte, was produced in the region of Plovdiv.
An inspection of the producer’s facilities found that the spinach was cleaned and packaged at an unregistered station. The person in charge was given a notice of administrative violation. The company notified all retailers that had received the product and started a procedure of its withdrawal from the market. The total amount of the spinach produced is 1,775 kg.
Focus-fen.net urges consumers not to eat the affected foods and return them to the place of purchase.