- Environmental Officer - Home based
- Commercial Manager - Fresh Produce, Kenya
- Assistant Growers - Australia
- Grower Managers and Senior Growers - Australia
- Sales Manager Europe - Mont-Ras (Girona), ES
- Global Sales Manager - Negotiable location
- Head of Global Sales - Netherlands or Israel
- Sales Manager - AIS Greenworks, Australia
- Technical Sales Representative - South Western Ontario, Canada
- Regional Quality Assurance (QA) Manager Fresh - Antwerp, Belgium
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
US: Energy consumption in agriculture increased in 2016
Farms consume energy in many forms, mainly diesel (44 percent of direct energy consumption), electricity (24 percent), natural gas (13 percent), gasoline (11 percent), and liquefied petroleum gas (7 percent). Diesel and, to a lesser extent, gasoline are used to power farm machinery. Electricity is used mainly for irrigation, cooling, and lighting. Natural gas and LP gas are used in heating and grain drying. Large amounts of natural gas are required in the manufacturing of fertilizer and pesticide, so these amounts are categorized as indirect energy consumption on farms.
Overall, about three-fifths of energy in 2016 used in the agricultural sector was consumed directly on-farm, while two-fifths were consumed indirectly in the form of fertilizer and pesticides. Recent increases in diesel and fertilizer consumption come in response to declining oil and natural gas prices. From 2012 to 2015, agriculture became more energy intensive, as energy consumption grew over 10 percent compared with about 6 percent growth in agricultural output.
This chart updates data found in the ERS report, Trends in U.S. Agriculture's Consumption and Production of Energy: Renewable Power, Shale Energy, and Cellulosic Biomass, released August 2016.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2019-05-20 "Horticulture flexibility is crucial for sustainability"
- 2019-05-15 UK: CCL horticulture sector saves over £3 million
- 2019-05-14 "Infrastructure constraints remain a challenge to greenhouse operators"
- 2019-05-13 Netherlands: Grower has as much right to (extra) electricity connection as data centers
- 2019-05-10 Danish tomato grower in the red because of repayment co-generation subsidy
- 2019-05-09 Data center next to tomato greenhouse
- 2019-05-08 Netherlands: Diesel 5.7 percent more expensive
- 2019-04-26 CAN (AB): $6.7 million in federal funding for geothermal demo facility
- 2019-04-25 Increasing profit through better use of CO2
- 2019-04-23 When is the best time to sign a fixed contract?
- 2019-04-19 Lithium batteries now used in agriculture
- 2019-04-17 International effort launched to determine best CO2 capture & utilisation technologies
- 2019-04-15 Addressing food security and boosting development with geothermal heat
- 2019-04-12 UK: TRIAD dates and reductions to future rates
- 2019-04-12 "Getting strawberries to the market early is a ‘fun challenge’ energy-wise"
- 2019-04-12 UK: New scheme launched to encourage heat networks
- 2019-04-05 "Horticulture sector stakeholders are early adopters in green technologies"
- 2019-04-03 Rolls-Royce and ABB announce global microgrid cooperation
- 2019-04-02 "We'll ensure BC Hydro works for people again"
- 2019-03-27 Netherlands: Oil & gas sector looking to geothermal development