- VP Growing Operations
- Head Grower Strawberries, Australia
- Growing Manager for Hydroponic strawberry producer
- Farm Manager Costa Rica
- Regional Sales Manager Fresh Produce
- Head Grower Strawberries, Norway
- Export Trade Manager
- Business Developer - Northern Europe
- Orchard Sector Manager
Belgian grower opts for water-cooled LED fixtures
The Belgian company, situated in Kruibeke, has been focusing on growing lettuce for many years. Grower Franky Hens: “We used to grow lettuce in full soil in our greenhouses. This way of growing is highly labour-intensive. Besides that we wanted to use less crop protection. This led to both growing on water and the expansion. The choice for water-cooled led was based on our very positive experience of Oreon Grow Lights in our cultivation greenhouse."
The Oreon Grow Light 2.1 was designed as a compact fixture with a high light output. The water-cooled LED fixture with its good light distribution is mounted on the trusses resulting in minimal shading. Doing this it allows the grower to make maximum use of natural daylight. Hens: “We had great experience with the Oreon LEDs in the cultivation greenhouse; the trustworthiness and lifespan of the lamp housing as well as the water cooling were very good. Moreover, lighting the crops with LEDs comes with plenty of quality advantages for the crops. Using the Oreon Grow Lights results in better colors, firm heads and a better taste. As a result of the healthy lettuce we can use less crop protection products.”
Because the LEDs are water cooled in a closed circuit, the generated heat can be collected and re-used. The heat is used underneath the gutters to effectively improve the microclimate around the crops. A very sustainable solution. All energy is used effectively.
Since the beginning of this season the complete energy balance at Slamotra is monitored by the research station in Sint-Katelijne-Waver. The first results are promising.
Indagro, the trusted supplier of Slamotra in Belgium, delivered the complete water- and electrical installation. “It has been a very good and intense cooperation of Slamotra, Indagro and Oreon. Franky and Kirsten are very experienced and passionate growers and entrepreneurs, which is great to work with. It’s been a pleasure for Oreon to be part of a promising project like this, where thousands of fresh lettuces are harvested every day”, said Michiel de Jong of Oreon.
For more information:
3401 MX IJsselstein
T: +31 30 760 0660
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-09-29 New Delhi farmer turns to hydroponics, educates others nowadays
- 2023-09-29 Malaysia: Vanilla farm based on aquaponics, open for tours
- 2023-09-28 UAE: Emirati farmer who grows 4,000 pineapples annually says farming in the desert is easy
- 2023-09-27 Tide to table: growing salmon and leafy greens in America's Dairyland
- 2023-09-27 Maharashtra farmer feeds his entire tomato crop to his cows
- 2023-09-26 US (CO): Harvest season is in full swing in Southern Colorado
- 2023-09-26 6 years after Hurricane Maria, Puerto Rico residents and farms take recovery into their own hands
- 2023-09-26 First boxes of microgreens delivered to customers in Northern Norway
- 2023-09-21 US (MA): Lancaster refugee farm destroyed by flooding
- 2023-09-21 “Smaller growers are very, very isolated"
- 2023-09-19 Pure Harvest eyes further growth with $150m strategic Richel Group Partnership
- 2023-09-18 Spain: Japanese strawberry variety allows better market entry and brand growth
- 2023-09-18 Denmark: Nordic Greens opens automonous greenhouse
- 2023-09-18 US (OH): “There is really no prescription for this type of farming. We're still figuring out how to make it better"
- 2023-09-14 US (NY): Taking on the Eastcoast in phased expansion, raising another $10 million
- 2023-09-12 US (FL): Greenhouse, classrooms grow on John Rivers’ Packing District farm
- 2023-09-11 US (OR): Immigrant farmers grow hard-to-find pantry staples
- 2023-09-11 "Sales have been at constant levels since the middle of July"
- 2023-09-07 US (UT): Greenhouse farm cultivates community through hydroponics
- 2023-09-06 Kenya: Kirinyaga government supports tomato growers in building horti infrastructure