- Head Grower Strawberries, Australia
- Growing Manager for Hydroponic strawberry producer
- Farm Manager Costa Rica
- Regional Sales Manager Fresh Produce
- Head Grower Strawberries, Norway
- Export Trade Manager
- Business Developer - Northern Europe
- Orchard Sector Manager
- International Citrus Account Manager
UK: Snowbergines to hit Waitrose shelves
The white aubergines are similar in shape to the regular purple variety, but are creamier and milder in taste, giving them a wonderful capacity to take on other flavours including festive spices or cheese, according to Waitrose.
They absorb less moisture when cooking than purple aubergines, meaning they soak up less oil, resulting in a lower calorie dish.
Gemma Hodgson, Waitrose Vegetable Buyer, comments, “It's the perfect time of year to have this festive looking aubergine on our shelves and we expect them to be a hit with our customers over the Christmas holiday. It's such a fun vegetable that can be used to liven up seasonal meal times.
Aubergines are extremely popular at this time of year, being used in bakes, tagines or casseroles and our snowbergine makes the perfect snowman on a plate for kids."
Early varieties of aubergine were traditionally white skinned, which coined the name 'eggplant' in America, as they resembled goose eggs. White aubergines have the same familiar shape but are slightly smaller than the most common variety and are best served roasted or grilled.
White aubergines are on sale at Waitrose shops nationwide at £1.35 each.
For more information:
Tel: +44 0207 287 5006
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-09-26 Increase your vegetable consumption to lower your blood sugar
- 2023-09-25 New podcast series about the history of fresh produce
- 2023-09-25 “It is our goal to provide our products in all 50 states”
- 2023-09-18 Growers and chemist innovate with new and existing products
- 2023-09-14 New celery bites introduced
- 2023-09-11 New compostable pot available to North American growers
- 2023-09-07 New salad kits and salad blends will debut at Southern Innovations
- 2023-09-06 Focus on reliability, longer lifetime, reusability, and flexibility
- 2023-09-01 New line of fresh-cut herbs under Vitalicious BIO-Organic label
- 2023-08-29 The nutritional marvel of microgreens
- 2023-08-28 Now, tomatoes can also be worn
- 2023-08-22 "New broad spectrum bioinsecticide back by popular demand"
- 2023-08-21 A nickel-free tomato that meets the needs of allergy sufferers
- 2023-08-09 A plastic film with maximum brightness, thermal efficiency and diffusion
- 2023-08-07 UK: GrowUp Farms launches first range of vertically ready-to-eat salads into Tesco
- 2023-07-20 Can spicy ice cream be dangerous?
- 2023-07-11 Some burgers will be served without tomatoes as crop shortage hits India
- 2023-07-07 Organic and fresh-cut vegetables on display
- 2023-07-04 Water cleanser product to be on display at Cultivate '23
- 2023-06-30 "Everyone loves Honing tomatoes, especially as a snack vegetable"