- Production Manager
- Assistant Professor - Controlled Environments Entomologist
- Technical Development Specialist | Horticulture | France
- Director of Business Development | Middle East | Agtech
- Farm/Production Manager; Berlin (m/w/d)
- Trader Asian Market
- Avocado Growing Manager - Kenya
- Operations Accountant
- Sales Manager for Nordic countries (H/F)
- Senior Breeder
Top 5 -yesterday
- Coal and pink tomatoes: the challenges for Polish growers
- Healthy seeds, and good germination with Plasma Activated Water seed treatment
- J. Huete International builds high-tech greenhouse for seed research in South America
- Tropicalia Greenhouse in Northern France blends perfectly with surroundings
- NZ: Return of the watermelon
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
- Zambia: "We produce 5,000 units of lettuce per week, per tunnel, year-round"
- UK growers stop planting and put nurseries on sale amidst energy crisis and labor shortage
- Passive solar greenhouses: How Ladakh farmers are harvesting crops in winter
- "High-tech farmer AppHarvest is running out of money"
- German family company switches from tomato cultivation to hydroponic lettuce
Global warming potential, variable costs and water use of young plant production
System A was modeled as a gutter-connected, rounded-arch greenhouse without a ridge vent and covered with double-layer polyethylene, and the plants were fertigated through sprinklers on stationary benches. System B was modeled as a more modern gutter-connected, Dutch-style greenhouse using natural ventilation, and moveable, ebb-flood production tables.
Inventories of input products, equipment use, and labor were generated from the protocols for those scenarios and a LCA was conducted to determine impacts on the respective greenhouse gas emissions (GHG) and the subsequent carbon footprint (CF) of foliage plants at the farm gate. CF is expressed in global warming potential for a 100-year period (GWP) in units of kilograms of carbon dioxide equivalents (kg CO2e).
The GWP of the 72-count trays were calculated as 4.225 and 2.276 kg CO2e with variable costs of $25.251 and $24.857 for trays of foliage plants grown using Systems A and B, respectively. The GWP of most inputs and processes were similar between the two systems. Generally, the more modern greenhouse in System B was more efficient in terms of space use for production, heating and cooling, fertilization, and water use.
While overhead costs were not measured, these differences in efficiency would also help to offset any increases in overhead costs per square foot associated with higher-cost, more modern greenhouse facilities. Thus, growers should consider the gains in efficiency and their influences on CF, variable costs (and overhead costs) when making future decisions regarding investment in greenhouse structures.
Access the full study at HortScience.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-11-29 Tropicalia Greenhouse in Northern France blends perfectly with surroundings
- 2022-11-29 NZ: Foodbank benefits from university glasshouse
- 2022-11-29 Podcast: space tomatoes and Eu:CROPIS
- 2022-11-29 Asia-Pacific federation for informatin technology in agriculture
- 2022-11-28 US (OH): Food waste being turned into compost for greenhouse
- 2022-11-28 WUR develops apps for 3D image recognition
- 2022-11-28 Fast and reliable measurement of the freshness and shelf life of tomato
- 2022-11-28 Inside the farm growing mushrooms in the Abu Dhabi desert
- 2022-11-24 US (NC): Hydroponic units supply food pantry
- 2022-11-23 UK: Young farmers discuss industry's plans at next generation conference
- 2022-11-23 TİKA set up 3 hydroponic greenhouses in Lebanon
- 2022-11-23 UK: Plan lodged with Highland Council for shed and greenhouse at Castletown youth club
- 2022-11-23 Workshop helps shape future of AgTech, good jobs in Central Queensland
- 2022-11-21 Saffron production under controlled conditions
- 2022-11-21 Mobile aeroponic system requires less maintenance and guarantees even irrigation
- 2022-11-18 SA: Empowerment project sees Nederburg grow its own lunch
- 2022-11-18 Brooklyn's The Greenhouse Bar, a slick combination of businesses
- 2022-11-17 New greenhouse to help provide healthy food at Central Iowa Shelter & Services
- 2022-11-17 Scaling out aeroponics technology for potato mini tuber production in Rwanda
- 2022-11-16 Zimbabwe aims for a higher horticultural output