- Production Manager
- Assistant Professor - Controlled Environments Entomologist
- Technical Development Specialist | Horticulture | France
- Director of Business Development | Middle East | Agtech
- Farm/Production Manager; Berlin (m/w/d)
- Trader Asian Market
- Avocado Growing Manager - Kenya
- Operations Accountant
- Sales Manager for Nordic countries (H/F)
- Senior Breeder
Top 5 -yesterday
- Infarm to make strategy shift, cuts 500 jobs
- UV lamps can control strawberry pests
- "We strive to make raspberries an affordable fruit for more customers"
- US (NY): Owners of Rockland farm say town unexpectedly closed one of their greenhouses
- CAN (ALB): Greenhouse moving to new owner, but land still for sale
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
- Zambia: "We produce 5,000 units of lettuce per week, per tunnel, year-round"
- UK growers stop planting and put nurseries on sale amidst energy crisis and labor shortage
- Passive solar greenhouses: How Ladakh farmers are harvesting crops in winter
- "High-tech farmer AppHarvest is running out of money"
- German family company switches from tomato cultivation to hydroponic lettuce
UK: Riverford seek growers to join three Innovative Farmers field labs
The field labs are being coordinated at Riverford’s Devon HQ but growers from across the country are being invited to take part. They can actively join the Devon group, replicate the trials on their own farms or follow the progress of the central trials through the Innovative Farmers website.
To kick off the field labs Riverford are hosting an open meeting on Thursday 23 November. Attendees can meet the researcher and help design trials, with topics set to include home-made comfrey liquids for fruiting crops, zone tillage and tackling leaf spot with hot water-treated seed.
Ed Scott, Assistant Harvest Manager at Riverford, will be coordinating the field labs. He said: “Our growers know the challenges they face better than anyone, so we want to support them in developing solutions that work for them, and the field labs are an opportunity to do that in a structured way and with research backing. We are an organic farm so we are looking for solutions that are sustainable, environmentally friendly and in-keeping with our ethos. But the types of problems faced by organic growers are no different from those faced by non-organic growers, so field labs can deliver knowledge exchange on a broad scale.”
Farmer-led research is at the heart of Innovative Farmers, delivering grassroots innovation to tackle problems in sustainable farming. Field labs bring farmers and researchers together, combining applied understanding with wider research insight to find robust and practical solutions.
Kate Pressland, Research Manager for Innovative Farmers, said: “Farmers are great experimentalists, but this is often in isolation. By sharing knowledge, ideas and results field labs can deliver far broader and more compelling insight for farmers than trialling on their own. Riverford are adding real value to farmer-led research by opening their trials to growers everywhere and we’re really excited to see what the groups find out.”
To find out more, or register your interest in the meeting on Thursday 23 November, visit www.innovativefarmers.org
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-11-29 Australia: baby cucumbers launch limited edition football pack to promote as a healthy sporting snack
- 2022-11-08 New blackberry and raspberry launching in 2023
- 2022-10-25 ‘Kawaguchi RZ meets Chinese consumers’ requirements for pink tomatoes’
- 2022-10-21 New snack packaging for tomatoes unveiled
- 2022-10-19 "We have launched a reuseable 4G wireless temperature and humidity location recorder with light sensors"
- 2022-10-18 “Company clothing is part of the operation in terms of hygiene, appearance, and comfort”
- 2022-10-12 Dutch bell pepper grower gets new automated crate processing line
- 2022-10-05 Shock-sensing data logger with food shapes replicate movement of fruit and vegetables during handling and transport
- 2022-10-05 “The impact of visibility on global trade flows is rising”
- 2022-10-04 Narrow strawberry tray saves grower 10% on substrate
- 2022-10-04 “Good tastes like more”
- 2022-10-03 "We have been able to contain the cucumber mosaic virus much better"
- 2022-09-30 Laser microperforated packaging prevents fresh produce waste
- 2022-09-26 Royal Brinkman and Kam’s Growers Supply launch Valent truss support clip
- 2022-09-15 Chopped salad line kit gets three new flavors
- 2022-08-25 Drop peppers: A niche product appreciated for their look and taste
- 2022-08-22 AI pest & disease detection platform to be distributed by Cultivatd
- 2022-08-08 BioTherm improves performance of their finned heating products
- 2022-07-20 Interesting novelty in the green oblong tomato segment
- 2022-07-12 New organic salad kits and blends line debuts in plant-based compostable bags