- VP Growing Operations
- Head Grower Strawberries, Australia
- Growing Manager for Hydroponic strawberry producer
- Farm Manager Costa Rica
- Regional Sales Manager Fresh Produce
- Head Grower Strawberries, Norway
- Export Trade Manager
- Business Developer - Northern Europe
- Orchard Sector Manager
"Vietnam spends heavily on fertilizer, pesticide imports"
The ministry’s data shows that Vietnam purchased 3.57 million tons of fertilizers valued at US$955 million in the nine-month period, up 19.7% in volume and 16.7% in value against the year-ago period. And data updated to end-August indicates shipments from China in January-August made up 39.3% of the nation’s total fertilizer imports, growing 9.8% in volume and 15.5% in value versus the same period last year.
The steep fertilizer import rise in the first eight months was also seen at key suppliers such as Russia with 75.5%, Japan with 48.2%, South Korea with 26.7%, Belarus with 19.7% and Laos with 15.9%.
As for pesticides and pesticide materials, import shipments increased a staggering 47.9% year-on-year to US$739 million in January-September and Chinese products accounted for 55% of the total.
As a result, the import spending of the agriculture sector in the January-September period surged 19.1% year-on-year to US$21.15 billion.
However, agriculture remains a sector with a high trade surplus, at nearly US$6 billion. Specifically, agro-forestry-fishery exports reached nearly US$27 billion in the first nine months, up 14.1% over the year-ago period.
Of which, some commodities registered strong export growth, such as rice with 20% to US$2.02 billion, rubber with 52.7% to US$1.66 billion, cashew nuts with 25% to US$2.55 billion, and wood and wooden products with 10% to US$5.51 billion.
Source: Saigon Times / Agroberichten Buitenland
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-09-29 Cucumber and zucchini prices are significantly lower than in the same period of last year
- 2023-09-28 CAN (ON): Affordable housing investment project of $61.4M includes aquaponic farm
- 2023-09-28 Peppers pricey for this time of year
- 2023-09-28 California border patrol officers arrest man smuggling cocaine in cucumber shipment
- 2023-09-28 GfK figures and trends on fruit and vegetable consumption in Germany presented by Ulrike Singer
- 2023-09-28 Green, even more green, will it be houses or greenhouses in Harmelerwaard?
- 2023-09-27 "Shoppers may pay 50% more for tomatoes if the US puts duties on Mexican tomatoes"
- 2023-09-27 Spanish zucchini exports decrease by 18%
- 2023-09-27 Digitalization of the Spanish agricultural sector
- 2023-09-27 Nigerian tomato growers aim for decentralized production
- 2023-09-26 97% of Mexican berries go to the United States and Canada
- 2023-09-26 "Shift from tomatoes to other fruiting vegetables due to risk of ToBRFV"
- 2023-09-26 Fruit and vegetable exports Vietnam set for a record $5 billion this year
- 2023-09-26 Stable market ahead expected for Thai Chili peppers
- 2023-09-26 Production dip prompts price hike for loose tomatoes
- 2023-09-26 Azura Group and Foundation donating €1.5m to Moroccan earthquake relief fund
- 2023-09-25 Satisfactory market for Sicilian organic tomatoes in Germany
- 2023-09-25 Australians are still throwing away too many vegetables
- 2023-09-25 Microgreens are increasingly popular
- 2023-09-25 NASA’s record-breaking astronaut: scientific highlights of Frank Rubio’s year in space