Top 5 -last month
Indonesia: Potential for pesticides based out of palm olein
Mulyorini said that the aim of this study was to obtain the best profenofos insecticide solution with diethanolamide (DEA) as its surfactant, information on physico-chemical properties of insecticide solution and the effectiveness of its performance in controlling grayak caterpillar (armyworm Spodoptera exigua)
In Indonesia, soy is the third most important food crop after rice and maize. Soybeans is one of the main food commodities in Indonesia, the majority of Indonesia relies heavily on soy for food ingredients. Demand consumption of soy protein-based foods higher with increasing population annually, always increasing from year to year. Indonesian soybean consumption is dominated by human use. Unfortunately, the high demand for soybeans is not able to offset the domestic soybean production. As a result, more and more soybean imports to rise.
"One cause of the low production capacity of soybeans is the grayak caterpillar attack. Generally, the grayak caterpillar attack is controled by spraying insecticide profenofos, "he said.
He said, Profenofos is an organophosphate insecticide. It is a liquid with a pale yellow to amber color and a garlic-like odor. Profenofos is an active ingredient that can’t be applied directly because it is very toxic, so it needs to be dissolved first. Profenofos need to be dissolved, but profenofos couldn't dissolve in water. So that, it needs the right formulation between the solvent and other ingredients which can support profenofos performance. One of that ingredient is surfactant.
One of the ingredients used to form a good emulsion is surfactant. This research used surfactant diethanolamide (DEA) based on palm olein. DEA function in insecticide formulation are as homogenizer, dispersant, sticker and spreader agent.
This research used surfactant diethanolamide (DEA) based on palm olein. DEA function in insecticide formulation are as homogenizer, dispersant, sticker and spreader agent. The results showed that the DEA surfactant was able to form a good emulsion on profenofos insecticide solution and sodium ethoxide solvent. The best results were obtained on the insecticide solution formulation with the addition of 10% DEA surfactant and 40 percent profenofos active ingredient. The test results prove that as many as 574 ppm of active ingredient in water can kill half the population of grayak caterpillar. (Wied)
Source: Bogor Agricultural University
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-08-08 US: Basil downy mildew found in southern New Jersey
- 2022-08-08 The advantages of introducing useful insects into nurseries
- 2022-07-22 Research team identifies genes making strawberries resistant to Fusarium wilt
- 2022-07-22 Protect second cucumber crops from Pythium now
- 2022-07-22 Employee Seminar 2022: The Green Switch Journey continues
- 2022-07-21 "Beneficial nematodes achieve 80% mortality in pepper caterpillar"
- 2022-07-20 95 percent of the Dutch horticultural area uses biological pest control
- 2022-07-20 Biohacking helps protect crops from fungal attacks
- 2022-07-20 New study uses AI to help find downy mildew
- 2022-07-20 Edema development in brassica crops
- 2022-07-20 New research reveals mutation responsible for disease resistance in cassava
- 2022-07-20 Identifying and controlling Botrytis in high tunnel and greenhouse tomato production
- 2022-07-20 Structural Design and Analyzed Methodology for a Flat-roof Nethouse in Greece
- 2022-07-19 Grenada holds tabletop simulation exercise for tomato leaf miner
- 2022-07-19 Leaf extracts from resistant wild tomato can be used to control late blight in tomatoes
- 2022-07-18 The truth about killing insects - the right way the first time
- 2022-07-15 Argentinian grower reports record yields
- 2022-07-15 Collar rot and alternaria stem rot of tomato
- 2022-07-14 Protecting tomato plants in Mexico against PepMV
- 2022-07-12 Biobest Bio-Boxes – what benefits do they offer?