Top 5 -yesterday
- Taking the wisdom from indoor farming and bringing it into greenhouses
- Top tips for growing lettuce in a greenhouse
- Greenhouse grower purchases 75-acre greenhouse in Jalisco, Mexico
- "One thing's sure: there will be less lit cultivation next season"
- New type of strawberry harvester introduced to the market
Top 5 -last month
UK: First harvest at Flavourfresh Salads Lansdale
The supply and installation of the project for Flavourfresh was project managed by Sales Director at LS Systems Darren McDonald who had a 2 week window in crop turnaround before the new plants arrived, this was in conjunction with a new energy and blackout screening system, as well as side wall and gable end roller screens.
Darren was full of praise for the supply of the lighting from Agrolux and in particular Nico van der Houwen and Dario Pobric who worked closely with LS Systems to make sure all the Philips lighting arrived on time. Installation of the system was a collaboration between LS Systems, Hortifix lighting installations who installed the lighting units and LS Systems electrical contractor Eco Electrical whose team run by Andrew Chapman built all the control panels and wired up the lighting.
Both contractors worked to a tight time schedule to get the work done on time and also benefited from the assistance given to them by Flavourfresh Lansdale nursery manager Andy Liggatt and his staff.
Andy Roe, production manager at Flavour Fresh
The full LED lighting installation comprised of 966 top lights and 2166 inter lights each giving a light output of 110 umol/s1 over the 46 rows of tomato plants, allowing the grower to plant the first week in October with a projected fruit harvest date of the middle of December, the tomato variety grown previously was grown under natural light only with a December planting.
Andy Roe production manager at Flavourfresh salads said, “the dawning of the LED era is without doubt the greatest innovation in horticulture since the invention of the tractor, Philips lighting has developed horticultural LED light to unlock the science of plant physiology and passed on this technical wizardry to benefit growers and food consumers.” He added, "the total LED installation gives 100% control to us as a grower."
"The lighting and heating work hand in hand to reduce the need for ventilation and in turn this reduces the total energy requirement by up to 35% which is a win, win situation for the environment, based on initial results we are confident of an earlier picking date than predicted and more achievable yields."
"Darren has once again delivered a project on time and within budget constraints to Flavourfresh Salads and we expect the results at the end of the season to prove this investment is required further within the nursery.”
If you would like to take a look, contact firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange a visit.
For more information:
Tel. 01704 880132
Agrolux Nederland B.V.
2676 LT Maasdijk
Tel. +31 174 610820
Fax. +31 174 610812
Mob. +31 6 22947598
184 Blackgate Lane
Preston PR4 6UU
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-08-10 UK: "Now into its 16th season, this site is still extremely efficient"
- 2022-08-09 How Singapore is turning multi-story car parks into farms
- 2022-08-09 Italy: New 2 hectare project makes products available all year round
- 2022-08-09 Dutch Berries: 20 hectares of high-tech strawberry cultivation
- 2022-08-08 Japanese strawberry grower increases production thanks to hanging kit
- 2022-08-08 IE: Boyne Valley community greenhouses helping to feed the hungry
- 2022-08-08 NZ: Downsizing crops, but passion for tomatoes remains strong
- 2022-07-22 Belgium: "In comparison to last year, we’ve doubled production, as well as our revenue"
- 2022-07-22 China: New demand for leafy vegetables brings opportunity to the industry
- 2022-07-21 China: Looking into a 73 hectare greenhouse park
- 2022-07-19 How plants are cooling greenhouses during the heatwave
- 2022-07-14 US (NY): Food trends are driving the demand for specialty mushrooms
- 2022-07-12 German retailer Kaufland and horti-family Reichenspurner open new greenhouse
- 2022-07-11 "New farms start operating by the end of the year"
- 2022-07-07 "Once you have fought temperatures above 35°C for strawberries, leafy greens aren't very daunting"
- 2022-07-05 Founder of Fairtrasa opens up during podcast about being kidnapped by Mexican gangsters
- 2022-06-29 Cock van Overbeek passed away
- 2022-06-20 Improve greenhouse management efficiency to counter lack of labor
- 2022-06-14 No drama with climate management at Drama greenhouse, Greece
- 2022-06-06 Leafy greens and vine crops grow in tropical Thai greenhouse