- Head Grower Greenhouse Canada
- Post Entry Quarantine Facility Manager
- Economic Policy Officer Agri-Tech Kentucky
- Licensing Manager North America
- Junior Sales Executive
- Fruit Breeder/Trait Discovery Scientist
- General Manager
- Regional Sales Manager – DACH Region
- Country Manager – Italy
- Country Manager – Spain
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
- “Black growbags could benefit vegetable crops as well”
- Latvia: First greenhouse to grow cucumbers under LEDs uses landfill waste to produce energy
- "Moisture is the big danger in the next two months"
- US (OH): 80 Acres Farms makes layoffs as tech job crunch continues
- "Even light intensity at every spot in the greenhouse"
Top 5 -last month
- How farmers are cutting out supermarkets
- Higher light transmission and lower heat demand with double foil greenhouse
- Combining vertical farming and greenhouse horticulture to decentralize lettuce production
- 30MHz declared bankrupt, curator 'optimistic about restart'
- Fresh produce chain hit by Lakeside Produce’s bankruptcy
"EU: "Growers know too little about collaboration"
Since January, Veerman has conducted research with a special task force. They looked into the position of growers in the chain, among other aspects. Last Monday the report was presented.
Veerman recommends increasing transparency along the chain and encouraging competition. "Larger parties with more overview in the chain often have a good image of the market, whereas smaller growers often do not have this overview. This creates mistrust about the price and the added value through the chain.” With compulsory price transparency and an arbitration system, Veerman wants to solve this kind of unfair business practices.
And finally, there is the CAP. The CAP has a greater market orientation than before, Veerman observes and anticipates more on the global market. A global market offers opportunities, but also restrictions and the concern is that growers - not united and less supported through measures at earlier stages from the government to keep prices at an acceptable level - become a kind of shock absorber for the sector when it considers price fluctuations or longer periods of low prices.
Veerman sees that little is done against unfair marketing practices. He argues for more transparency and a better availability of financing possibilities for growers, in which the European Investment Bank could play a role. He also sees opportunities for crisis cartels, which can also be useful for independent growers who are not a member of producer organizations.
Read the entire report here.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-01-27 Italy exports approximately 60% of its tomatoes to the US every year
- 2023-01-27 New white strawberry variety targets year-round supply
- 2023-01-27 Higher cucumber pricing reflects lessened supply and inflated costs
- 2023-01-27 Greenhouse horticulture goes for people-oriented employment
- 2023-01-27 Sub-zero frosts harm Murcia crops
- 2023-01-27 Increased energy costs hit winter production of cucumbers on the northern hemisphere hard
- 2023-01-26 UK cucumber growers won't plant until late February or March
- 2023-01-26 South African consumer has to expect higher-priced tomatoes in near future
- 2023-01-26 Morocco approaches the volume of tomatoes that Spain sold in the European Union
- 2023-01-26 “The blueberry sector is looking to expand its production window in Huelva”
- 2023-01-26 NL: How popular is greenhouse horticulture among young people?
- 2023-01-26 Prices of tomatoes skyrocket at Koyambedu market in Chennai
- 2023-01-26 Qatar produces more vegetables than it needs
- 2023-01-25 Frost destroyed vegetable crops in the south of Kazakhstan
- 2023-01-25 "Spanish tomatoes, bell peppers' situation finally improving"
- 2023-01-25 Average price vine tomato drops, loose tomato rises further in week 3
- 2023-01-25 European Commission unveils new packaging regulations – to take effect from 2025
- 2023-01-25 Effects of Brexit have become clearer for UK growers
- 2023-01-24 Horticultural products drive total U.S. agricultural import growth
- 2023-01-24 DE: Agricultural Minister of Colombia explores opportunities for cooperation