- Sales Representative Substrates Peru
- Head Grower – High Technology Organic Greenhouse
- Import and Export Sales Manager
- Sales Manager - US
- Key Account Manager (f/m/d) - Full-time
- Vice President of Growing Operations
- Account Manager - Canada
- Account Manager - United States
- Procurement Manager Blueberries
- International Fruit Trader
Australian researchers discover ways to make food last longer
The process has the potential to help reduce the billions of tonnes of food that are wasted worldwide each year.
Food and flowers ripen, and then over ripen and spoil, due to their natural production of ethylene gas.
The researchers have come up with compounds they've dubbed 'ethylene antagonists' (in chemistry an antagonist is a substance which inhibits another process).
The result is that fruit and vegetables stay fresher for longer, and cut flowers take longer to drop their petals.
"The way these compounds work is that they don't reduce the production of ethylene, they prevent the fruits, vegetables and flowers from perceiving ethylene," says Dr Payne.
"Every fruit has a receptor that ethylene binds to."
"What we're doing is we're masking those receptors."
Read more at phys.org
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-12-01 AI helps predict strawberry harvest
- 2023-11-30 AI in horticulture theme for 'Future Trends & Innovations'
- 2023-11-29 How AI could power the climate breakthrough the world needs
- 2023-11-29 Bluelab unveils controller upgrade
- 2023-11-29 Plug & Play ready-to-use vertical farm solution with air distribution
- 2023-11-29 "The auction model is one that truly works in Almeria"
- 2023-11-28 Canada: Vertical integration allows to have a farm set up on-site within 3-6 weeks
- 2023-11-27 Egypt: Growers transitioning to soilless farming to counter water scarcity
- 2023-11-24 "The surging berry demand, and the North American market growth are our focus points"
- 2023-11-24 Why do crops grow better with more light?
- 2023-11-24 Addressing labor shortage and preserving heritage through AI farming
- 2023-11-23 Smart farming seen as the solution in Japan’s ageing society
- 2023-11-23 Google's GraphCast can predict weather with 'unprecedented accuracy'
- 2023-11-23 Asia sees growing need for high-quality produce and leafy greens
- 2023-11-22 Netting cages offer a solution for easy insect inspection of new plant material
- 2023-11-22 Bosman Van Zaal now official dealer of Elpress