Announcements

Job Offers

"Tweeting Growers"

Top 5 -yesterday

Top 5 -last week

Top 5 -last month

Students fall ill after eating veg from LA school garden

According to reports, an elementary school's community garden has been closed down after at least one L.A. child was rushed to the hospital, and several others were reported to have fallen ill, after eating vegetables they grew themselves.

The Micheltorena Elementary Garden, cultivated by both students and the Silverlake community, was closed Friday 23 September, after multiple children got sick after eating the vegetables, the school reported. 

One 10-year-old student said in an interview with KABC that he and some friends were given mushrooms from the garden by someone who worked there before he was sent to the hospital.

"I picked him up. He could barely walk," his father said. "Within 30 to 40 minutes many kids got sick including mine."

Superintendent Michelle King said the school's health department will also be inspecting each garden in the school district, which is comprised of more than 1,000 schools and at least 600,000 students.


Publication date:



Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here


Other news in this sector:


Sign up for our daily Newsletter and stay up to date with all the latest news!

Subscribe I am already a subscriber