- Head Grower Greenhouse Canada
- Post Entry Quarantine Facility Manager
- Economic Policy Officer Agri-Tech Kentucky
- Licensing Manager North America
- Junior Sales Executive
- Fruit Breeder/Trait Discovery Scientist
- General Manager
- Regional Sales Manager – DACH Region
- Country Manager – Italy
- Country Manager – Spain
Top 5 -yesterday
- Fresh produce chain hit by Lakeside Produce’s bankruptcy
- "Affordable organic foods can be produced from commercial aquaponic greenhouse farms"
- Can cucumbers save a cannabis company?
- "Adhesive tape offers a solution to a common problem in the industry"
- UK cucumber growers won't plant until late February or March
Top 5 -last week
- “Black growbags could benefit vegetable crops as well”
- Latvia: First greenhouse to grow cucumbers under LEDs uses landfill waste to produce energy
- "Moisture is the big danger in the next two months"
- US (OH): 80 Acres Farms makes layoffs as tech job crunch continues
- Is ozone effective against ToBRFV?
Top 5 -last month
- How farmers are cutting out supermarkets
- Higher light transmission and lower heat demand with double foil greenhouse
- 30MHz declared bankrupt, curator 'optimistic about restart'
- Combining vertical farming and greenhouse horticulture to decentralize lettuce production
- COFRA Holding and Mastronardi acquire AppHarvest's Berea greenhouse
Lebanese grower looking for help to start up hydroponic operation
In the beginning of this year, a giant fire destroyed about 70% of Fadi's farm. While the grower always had been interested in other farming techniques, he decided that the reconstruction of his devastated operations would be a good moment to take a look at different crops and production techniques. Therefore he plans to establish high tunnels and hydroponic greenhouses on the property that he has available next to his mushroom farm.
Fadi sees opportunities for hydroponic produce in the Lebanese market. "Much of the produce offered on the local wholesale markets doesn't meet high quality standards. Some lettuce is being sold at good prices and when you produce a stable quality product you can take advantage of this."
While Lebanon has a strong agriculture sector, Fadi is not familiar with many other hydroponic or greenhouse growers in his area. "I am in touch with some greenhouses in the south that grow hydroponic cucumbers and tomatoes, but I am looking to connect with other professionals elsewhere to research opportunities."
The grower, who is a U.S. citizen, is willing to travel to visit other growers and operations in order to learn more about technologies and hydroponic production. While Lebanon has a very hot and dry climate, Fadi think that controlled environment agriculture will provide him with good opportunities to grow crops year round. "I need to conduct research if this is possible, taking a closer look at planting schemes and try to determine if this is a good opportunity."
Fadi's land is located 550 meters above sealevel and during the summer time the average day temperature is between 30-35 degrees Celsius and 20 at night. In the winter the temperature doesn't go below zero. The average day temperature is 18-20 degrees Celsius and around 6-7 at night.
Companies, suppliers and any other industry professionals that can help Fadi with technology, information or education are being invited to contact him:
Fadi Bou Arbid
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-01-26 Can cucumbers save a cannabis company?
- 2023-01-25 US (PA): Peach Hill Orchard invests in new hydroponic farming greenhouse for lettuce and tomato growing
- 2023-01-25 Combining vertical farming and greenhouse horticulture to decentralize lettuce production
- 2023-01-20 Palestinian farmer grows strawberries under water scarcity
- 2023-01-19 India: Grower moves to sustainable cultivation and reaps success
- 2023-01-17 Latvia: First greenhouse to grow cucumbers under LEDs uses landfill waste to produce energy
- 2023-01-16 Get in shape: Wittenberg Gemüse organizes greenhouse run
- 2023-01-16 India: Growing strawberries, oyster mushrooms and other exotic vegetables in arid Jodhpur
- 2023-01-16 US (WA) : Food coop donates $100,000 to Viva Farms
- 2023-01-12 Paving the way for sustainable greenhouse cultivation in China
- 2023-01-12 Conventional and organic: greenhouse grower does it all
- 2023-01-11 A Palestinian engineer-turned-farmer excels in innovative agriculture in besieged gaza
- 2023-01-10 US (NV): Small family farm in Moapa meets high demand
- 2023-01-10 “It’s always good to learn new things. The way we grow has changed quite a lot over the years.”
- 2023-01-09 Cucumbers in Bulgaria are getting the spa treatment
- 2023-01-06 Tinkerbell and Tomberry godfather retires
- 2023-01-06 How farmers are cutting out supermarkets
- 2023-01-06 Meet the Croatian tomato variety grower in England
- 2023-01-03 Inside a greenhouse on the rooftop of a Whole Foods
- 2023-01-03 US (MT): New year could bring a boost for hydroponic business in Hill County