- Grower and Project Planner Vertical Farming - Aarhus - Denmark
- Financieel Administratief medewerk(st)er
- Territory Manager - Brazil/South America
- Senior Product Coordinator Beans
- Sales manager
- Head of Sales
- Medewerker Productmanagement
- Sales Manager - Germany
- Associate Director International Procurement: Produce - Berlin
- International Procurement Manager - Berlin
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
- Whitefly prevention with liquid nutritional plant enhancer
- Derek Hargreaves ‘A Remarkable Man’
- "The number of high-tech greenhouses in Poland has grown significantly in recent years"
- CAN (ON): “We are moving into the strawberry category as a united front"
- "We can produce up to 2.5 times more from the same acreage"
Top 5 -last month
- "The container is essential to determine the quality of the plant"
- Finland: 11.000m2 hybrid vertical farm constructed near Helsinki
- Here are last year's best read articles: vertical farming, strawberries and sustainable initiatives
- “I have to throw away my crops because of energy prices”
- "In a decade, only a handful of greenhouse companies will survive"
Strawberry growth in Israel
The company was founded by Shalom Yosef, a Yemeni Jew, who was one of many Jewish emigrants to Israel in the late 1940’s. Working as a day laborer in the small village of Magdiel, Yosef gained experience in farming. Eventually, he became an independent farmer, and in 1970 began growing strawberries on a large scale. During this time, Israeli strawberries made their way onto the international market.
Today, the company specializes in new varieties, including the the Rotem and Shaked strawberries, known for their quick growth and early ripening. New methods are being developed to reduce the use of pesticides. One innovation has been the introduction of ‘good insects’ into the growth area, allowing them to destroy harmful pests.
In Kibbutz Merom Golan, located in the Golan Heights, strawberry cultivation has been extended into the summer months. Normally, strawberries are a winter fruit, and are among the most popular of all Israeli fruits. Strawberries require cool temperatures and few hours of daylight. The Golan’s climate is ideally suited for strawberry growth, as the area is cooler than most parts of Israel.
One of the conditions necessary for ideal strawberry cultivation is shelter from the wind, so one will often see large fields under plastic wrap or shelter-belts. Until the 1960’s, strawberries came to market in March. With modern techniques, strawberries are planted in October and are available by mid-December.
Palestinian and Gazan farmers have come to Israel to learn about the new techniques and cultivation of new varieties of strawberries. Tours have been organized by Israel’s Civil Administration of Judea and Samaria to facilitate collaborative programs between Israeli and Palestinian farmers.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-01-24 US: Produce imports plug winter gaps
- 2022-01-24 Former janitor now enjoys planting veggies
- 2022-01-24 Colder temperatures slow organic lettuce production
- 2022-01-24 UK: How to clean a 5 acre tomato greenhouse
- 2022-01-20 Strawberry growers welcome multiple benefits of new biocontrols applicator
- 2022-01-20 How to control the temperature of a saffron farm?
- 2022-01-19 Gazan farmers adopt green economy to reap financial harvest
- 2022-01-18 Philippines: Antique’s upland farmers start planting greenhouse crops
- 2022-01-17 "Year-round snack cucumbers thanks to an optimal LED light recipe"
- 2022-01-17 How to prepare a greenhouse for winter cloudy and snowy days
- 2022-01-14 Changhua's cherry tomatoes have been fully ordered before harvesting
- 2022-01-14 Gigantic cabbage from southern Taiwan ‘listens to music’ every day
- 2022-01-14 UK: 12,000 tomatoes from two plants at Sea Spring Seeds
- 2022-01-14 Japan is testing grow-in-a-bag plant technology in space
- 2022-01-14 Vertical technology keeps strawberries warm in gutters
- 2022-01-13 "The container is essential to determine the quality of the plant"
- 2022-01-12 Climate smart agriculture farmers on the rise in Dagana, Bhutan
- 2022-01-07 In a 1000 sq ft garden, Patna man grows over 100 varieties of fruits & veggies
- 2022-01-07 Diary of a space zucchini, 10 years on
- 2022-01-07 "The future is going to be automation"