- Sales Representative Substrates Peru
- Head Grower – High Technology Organic Greenhouse
- Import and Export Sales Manager
- Sales Manager - US
- Key Account Manager (f/m/d) - Full-time
- Vice President of Growing Operations
- Account Manager - Canada
- Account Manager - United States
- Procurement Manager Blueberries
- International Fruit Trader
The fruit-and-vegetable counter generates many emotions in customers
"Germany: "Visually overstimulating customers prevents sales"
“The buyer orients himself by anchors in the environment: what we see determines what we think is reasonable,” Dr. Gunnar Mau explains in his lecture. For instance, he demonstrates how consumers are influenced by the packaging of a product. “If there are more biscuits printed on a package, the consumer will believe he can eat more,” Dr. Mau explains by means of an example from behavioural science.
“One should not visually overstimulate the customer: overstimulating prevents sales,” Mau continues. As an example he brings forth a study on the choice and purchase of different marmalades. Although more people stood still at a broader range of choices, few customers came to an actual decision to purchase.
“Fruit and vegetables transport feelings”
The customer also lets himself be influenced by the principle of reward. “Who does good is also allowed to sin,” the behavioural scientist explains. “Fruit and vegetables transport feelings. This is to say, when someone consumes something bad, afterwards they consume something they connect with something positive. For example chocolate. I want to do good for myself and so I would rather eat an apple.” Mau denounces that the consumption of fruit and vegetables is seen too much as a duty rather than a pleasure.
Mau believes that the close proximity of consumption should direct the attention much more towards the pleasure. For instance, many emotions are released in customers at the POS. These should be pointed at consumption itself. Through colour, images or the packaging.
Dr. Gunnar Mau
SHOPPERMETRICS GmbH & Co. KG
Fruchtallee 23a, 20259 Hamburg
Tel: +49(0)40 432 69 881+49(0)40 432 69 881
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-12-01 Lidl GB is preparing for a record-breaking Christmas
- 2023-11-30 Seven & i Holdings has agreed to purchase the 7-Eleven convenience store chain in Australia
- 2023-11-29 Arrival of SPAR brand important milestone in development of grocery retail trade in Uzbekistan
- 2023-11-28 Biedronka has opened its 3,500th outlet in Poland
- 2023-11-27 Tesco has backed calls for government to place ban on plastic fruit and veg packaging
- 2023-11-24 Billa Bulgaria has opened its first Billa Today store
- 2023-11-23 Project focused on increasing consumption of fruits and vegetables in Tanzania
- 2023-11-21 Coles and Woolworths respond to Christmas ‘vegetable price surge’ after $50m storm
- 2023-11-21 A fruit has been a surprising hit in Deliveroo’s top trending dishes of 2023
- 2023-11-20 Asda opened its 100th Asda Express store
- 2023-11-17 Alibaba Group: September quarter 2023 results
- 2023-11-16 Petition urging major UK supermarkets to treat British farmers more fairly reaches 75.000 signatures
- 2023-11-16 HelloFresh issued a profit warning, shares fell the most on record
- 2023-11-15 Sales growth slows for Asda and underperforms UK rivals
- 2023-11-14 Lidl GB has published its fourth ‘Good Food’ report
- 2023-11-13 Intermarché will complete the entire franchising operation in Belgium