- VP Growing Operations
- Head Grower Strawberries, Australia
- Growing Manager for Hydroponic strawberry producer
- Farm Manager Costa Rica
- Regional Sales Manager Fresh Produce
- Head Grower Strawberries, Norway
- Export Trade Manager
- Business Developer - Northern Europe
- Orchard Sector Manager
Floriculture technology in Mexico:
Mexican market opts for higher quality crops, resulting in demand for new techniques
Even though, a lot of our technique is quite new for the growers, a large interest can be noticed”, says Floris Berghout, sales manager for KG Systems. His company manufactures all kinds of greenhouse systems, and is specialized in growing benches for pot plants and propagation of young plants.
An increase in demand from the Mexican consumers for high quality products is one of the reasons that Mexico is becoming an interesting market for KG Systems. "A higher quality crop can be reached by using new techniques, like bench systems".
“At the moment, many growers grow their crops in low tech greenhouses with low tech systems. They grow in the ground, on the ground or on wooden or steel benches . Consequently the quality of the crops will be low”, says Floris. In order to increase the quality of their crops, enhanced bench systems can be used. These systems make it possible to regulate water supply and nutrition very accurately and make it possible to recirculate water and nutrients which can be adjusted to the different varieties of crops. Moreover, the systems are durable, light weight and will keep their value.
Especially for the new ornamental trend, the Phalaenopsis, this technique is important. Growing Phalaenopsis is a process which needs special techniques in order to reach a sufficient quality. "Next to Phalaenopsis, the demand for high quality vegetables is also rising in Mexico", says Floris
Due to the fact that the bench systems are fairly new to the Mexican growers, KG systems also reconditioned second handed table systems. With these systems, the threshold to purchase the product is lower for new and existing growers. "After 'testing' these second handed systems, many growers switch to new tables”, says Floris.
In Mexico KG systems cooperates with many different Dutch companies (Luiten, Brinkman, Metazet FormFlex, VB Group, HortiMax, and many more) in order to offer their Mexican customers fully equipped greenhouses.
For more information:
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-10-02 Samskip and Boluda Lines join forces to launch new Spain-Ireland-UK Service
- 2023-10-02 UK: House of Lords Horticultural Sector Committee visits Kent-based vertical farm
- 2023-10-02 New greenhouse covers promise to save water, energy, and improve profitability
- 2023-10-02 CAN (ON): The party is on at the inauguration Van der Ende's new office in Kingsville
- 2023-10-02 Gentle handling and weighing of vine tomatoes and grapes
- 2023-09-29 "For growers and retailers, we're an open book"
- 2023-09-29 US (KY): "This farm was sold out as soon as it opened"
- 2023-09-29 BioSafe Systems mourns the loss of Michael Larose
- 2023-09-29 “We empower growers to excel in cost-effective cultivation, ensuring long-term success"
- 2023-09-29 Lebanon needs greenhouses for food safety and security too
- 2023-09-29 Eurofins Food Assurance acquires ARS Probata
- 2023-09-29 Said El Ouakili to join Kubo
- 2023-09-28 CAN: Provincial government investing in infrastructure for vegetable production
- 2023-09-28 “We help companies across continents resolve disputes”
- 2023-09-28 "Product availability is our biggest challenge by far"
- 2023-09-28 "From biocontrol to packaging and everything in between"