Top 5 -yesterday
- Taking the wisdom from indoor farming and bringing it into greenhouses
- Top tips for growing lettuce in a greenhouse
- Greenhouse grower purchases 75-acre greenhouse in Jalisco, Mexico
- "One thing's sure: there will be less lit cultivation next season"
- New type of strawberry harvester introduced to the market
Top 5 -last month
South Korea: Super Gold Mango Watermelon doing well in Asian, European markets
“The Super Gold has a high sugar content,” explained San - Bin Park, breeder of Asia Seed. “The colour of the flesh is between orange and yellow, and it has a small amount of fibre, so you can eat it easily.” It also has a unique shape, in that it is smaller than typical watermelons and has one end that comes to a point. Also known as the Mango Watermelon, the Super Gold was developed by mixing the yellow watermelon with the favourable taste of a red watermelon.
“The Super Gold has the same chewy texture of a red watermelon and a higher sugar content than the yellow watermelon,” said Park. “It was developed for the Korean, Southwest Asian, Chinese and European markets to compete with both the red-fleshed and yellow-fleshed watermelons.” It's currently enjoying strong demand in Asia. The price for a melon right now is about $3.00 USD per kilogram in South Korea, and a seven-kilogram package of it went for as much as $24 this summer.
“Growers can get high profits in lots of niche markets with this melon because not only does it have a unique shape, but it is also a high quality watermelon,” said Park. “Good profits can also be obtained because of the superior texture and sweetness of this melon over other melons."
For more information:
Asia Seed Co., LTD.
Mr. Jun-Oh Kim, General Manager
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-08-10 "We consider every aspect of bell pepper cultivation to keep moving toward energy-neutral farming"
- 2022-08-10 Nova Siri Genetics research for strawberry cultivation
- 2022-08-10 Call for research needs in aquaponics
- 2022-08-10 Greenhouse grower purchases 75-acre greenhouse in Jalisco, Mexico
- 2022-08-10 "One thing's sure: there will be less lit cultivation next season"
- 2022-08-10 PT: Biobest steps up presence in Portugal with acquisition of Agronologica, changes name to Biobest Portugal
- 2022-08-10 4 case studies on monitoring and optimizing irrigation
- 2022-08-10 US (CA): Rotational fungicide approved for sale in CA
- 2022-08-10 New type of strawberry harvester introduced to the market
- 2022-08-10 Shouguang, Shandong: the capital of vegetables in China
- 2022-08-10 “Developing varieties with resistances takes time but it’s an important role we play as plant breeders”
- 2022-08-10 Western Growers mourns the passing of Hank Giclas
- 2022-08-10 India: Yara Growth invests $50M in ag-fintech company
- 2022-08-10 All Florida pesticide exams now available online
- 2022-08-09 US (ID): Syngenta debuts $15 million global vegetable seeds quality control lab
- 2022-08-09 Cualin Quality signs an agreement with Rijk Zwaan to produce Reddery RZ cherry tomatoes at its high-tech facilities
- 2022-08-09 UK: £15,000 vouchers available for horticultural, food and drink research
- 2022-08-09 Acquiring contracting companies results in Veldhoven Loonwerk
- 2022-08-09 Bowery and Arkansas Agricultural Experiment Station to develop disease-resistant spinach
- 2022-08-09 "We can now capture the whole value chain, from young plants to the consumer"