Top 5 -yesterday
- Taking the wisdom from indoor farming and bringing it into greenhouses
- Top tips for growing lettuce in a greenhouse
- Greenhouse grower purchases 75-acre greenhouse in Jalisco, Mexico
- "One thing's sure: there will be less lit cultivation next season"
- New type of strawberry harvester introduced to the market
Top 5 -last month
Philippines: Agri-plastic, the new farming tech
He said the agriculture industry is facing many challenges nowadays and there is a need for farmers to start exploring other farming techniques. Felongco said when a farmer relies simply on traditional farming, he may not cope up when faced with challenges brought about by climate change.
Macplas business development manager Dax M. Alcordo said the company used to produce only agri-plastics for the banana industry, which included seedling bags, twine support, fruit insert, bunch shroud, fruit harvest marker, cluster pack, and box liner.
After seeing the real threat posed by catastrophes to the local agri sector, Felongco said they revisited their vision to include the whole of agriculture, instead of bananas.
He also said they are encouraging those who want to become farmers in the future to start early through the use of their products.
Aside from agri-plastics for banana, other agri-plastic products include mulch film, tunnel film, solar dryer film, silage bags, fruit sun shield, grain bags, and grow bag. For the aquaculture industry, they have a salt bed liner, fry bag, and pond liner.
One of their popular products is the grow bag which can be used to grow vegetables and herbs. The product is the right solution for those who want to have a vegetable or herb garden, given the limited space. It can be used for a vertical or hanging garden.
Felongco said the company has invested into research and development to ensure that the products used by farmers are effective and not harmful to the environment or the farm. He said unlike regular plastics you find in the market, their plastics have been developed to be durable.
Click here for the complete article at Sunstar.com.ph
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-07-07 New cold storage and research rooms put into operation at Proeftuin Randwijk
- 2022-07-07 Fruit that always has the best taste and bite thanks to All-in-One Spectral Cabinet
- 2022-06-30 50% more plants thanks to new strawberry cultivation system
- 2022-06-01 Proseal pioneers workable alternatives to plastic tray sealing
- 2022-05-27 European retailers called out for not going all-in on curtailing plastic pollution
- 2022-05-27 Is the economy threatening packaging sustainability?
- 2022-05-11 Drivers: the unsung heroes of the horticultural industry
- 2022-05-03 Canadian grower backs five-year plastics research project
- 2022-04-25 US (GA): Horticultural container manufacturer to invest $44 million in Toombs County
- 2022-04-06 Beekenkamp introduces new transport boxes for better automatic processing
- 2022-04-04 "Display enables nice placement of herbs and optimal brand presentation"
- 2022-03-30 Fast and flexible closing machine for cardboard trays with flaps
- 2022-03-30 'Perfecting trade amid overwhelming global developments'
- 2022-03-24 UK: Plastic Packaging Tax comes into force on April 1
- 2022-03-21 "Avoiding excess packaging and wastage"
- 2022-03-18 Wageningen University & Research extends roadmap for more sustainable food packaging
- 2022-03-17 "US shows a strong demand for flexible and innovative packaging lines for greenhouse-grown produce"
- 2022-03-17 "Refrigerated vehicles can be kept at service temperatures thanks to modern e-cooling systems"
- 2022-03-16 Belgian strawberry grower creates tool to asses sustainability of packaging
- 2022-03-16 "Where are paper prices headed? That's the big question"