- Commercial Manager Soft Fruits
- Assistant Nursery Manager - Tasmania, Australia
- Tissue Culture Lab / Operations Manager - Victoria, Australia
- Irrigation Manager - Tasmania or Victoria
- Chief Executive Officer Hortifrut IG Berries
- Head of Operations - Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- Greenhouse grower / production manager - Brazil
- Experienced International Trade Specialist
- Packaging Supervisor
- Nursery Production Manager South Australia
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
Turkish grower opts for double screens to ensure high quality tomatoes
Located in the mountainous countryside inland from the Aegran coast, Afyon is unique location with cold winters and hot and dry summers. Summers temperatures are milder than other nearby coastal areas due to the city’s high elevation of 1000+ meters, and are a major advantage for summer production. The region is blessed with multiple sources of geothermal hot water of which can be used to heat the greenhouse. Afyon’s extensive sunlight hours are a further advantage for the SEMAY greenhouse, promoting plant growth and increasing tomato production.
SEMAY’s main aim is to offer the finest tasting tomatoes to both domestic and overseas customers; to help ensure they meet their quality target the operation opted to invest in double screens, installing LUXOUS 1347 FR, a transparent energy screen and HARMONY 3315 O FR, an open-structure light diffusing shade screen.
The company heats the greenhouse with hot water from geothermal sources, however, because temperatures can drop extremely low, at times as low as -20°C in the area, the water temperatures are not always sufficient in reaching the greenhouse’s set point temperature. But with the aid of the LUXOUS thermal screen SEMAY is able to reach the temperatures needed for their tomato crops, enabling the crop to continuously grow at a high speed.
The HARMONY shade screen was installed to shade the crop during late spring, summer and early autumn, when temperature and radiation can rise to harmful levels, leading to growth stagnation and poor fruit quality. The HARMONY screen prevents such risks and as a result quality and output remain at high levels.
Alev Semker Akal, CEO of SEMAY Agricultural Products and Greenhouses, plans a further extension of around 6 ha later this year or next year.
For more information
AB Ludvig Svensson
5118 82 Kinna, Sweden
T: +46 320 20 92 00+46 320 20 92 00
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-06-28 Produce vegetables with carbon dioxide
- 2022-06-28 China: "We hope that fresh-flower preservation cards will replace ice bottles and make life easier for fresh-flower distributors"
- 2022-06-28 Container farm allows growers to cultivate 14 different gourmet mushrooms
- 2022-06-28 'Local presence has further strengthened customer relations'
- 2022-06-28 Dispute between horti suppliers ends with no patent infringement
- 2022-06-28 Solar greenhouse idea wins Schneider Go Green student competition
- 2022-06-28 1st price for the pesticide-residue free tomatoes in the national level of European Business Awards for the Environment
- 2022-06-27 US (CA): Grower takes over Piru-based nursery
- 2022-06-27 HT Verboom Transport Systems joins GreenV
- 2022-06-27 Codema's staff welcomed by other horticultural companies
- 2022-06-27 Online retailer Gorillas launches private label range
- 2022-06-27 Despite the climate of uncertainty, the herbs segment is standing its ground
- 2022-06-27 Stronger supplies of California organic basil in 2022
- 2022-06-27 Driscoll's agrees to terms for acquisition of Berry Gardens
- 2022-06-27 "At Linde, we have set the bar very high in terms of ergonomics, safety, efficiency and productivity"
- 2022-06-27 Lipman Family Farms nourishes partnerships with local farmers to meet consumer demands
- 2022-06-27 Dublin trade has subdued at the moment
- 2022-06-27 Austrian vegetables for the upcoming barbecue season
- 2022-06-24 Oppy welcomes back category director of greenhouse
- 2022-06-24 Vertigo Technologies wins the 2022 Topsector T&U Innovation Prize