- VP Growing Operations
- Head Grower Strawberries, Australia
- Growing Manager for Hydroponic strawberry producer
- Farm Manager Costa Rica
- Regional Sales Manager Fresh Produce
- Head Grower Strawberries, Norway
- Export Trade Manager
- Business Developer - Northern Europe
- Orchard Sector Manager
GreenTech Agro and Philips to develop cooperation
Reinier Donkersloot, Business Developer Philips City Farming, Gus van der Feltz, Global Director Philips City Farming, Glenn Behrman, Founder & President at GreenTech Agro LLC, Udo van Slooten, General Manager Philips Horticulture LED Solutions Roel Janssen, Project Implementation Manager Philips City Farming
The Growtainer™ is a highly engineered modular and mobile vertical production environment in a 20’ or 40’ shipping container that has been modified to provide an optimum controlled environment for growing a wide range of crops in all environments and climates. This allows for a significantly higher yield in a shorter time than conventional production methods. The Growtainers™ will be equipped with the most advanced low energy consumption LED lighting from Philips. In addition, they make use of a water conserving hydroponic system, crop specific vertical shelving, a state of the art HVAC and Environmental system, including a CO2 enriched atmosphere, all controlled by an advanced PC based system, The Growtroller™. With a Growtainer™, fresh vegetables can be grown almost anywhere.
Growtainers will soon be opening up close to consumers and Growracks™ will find their way into schools, hospitals and restaurants. These facilities will achieve a higher production level, with a known harvest date and a product that can be controlled in terms of its appearance, taste and nutritional value. Cultivation takes place without the use of pesticides and reduces water consumption by at least 90% compared to traditional cultivation methods, with the multilayer technology allowing for an efficient use of space.
Philips has been developing light sources for horticulture for many years and continues to invest heavily in horticultural lighting. In R&D for LED, a dedicated team of engineers works full-time to improve existing concepts and to develop new lighting systems for the horticulture industry. Specialists such as plant physiologists and technical engineers have been trained in the key horticultural countries to provide full support to growers and breeders. Working with research institutes, universities, growers and partners, Philips is able to meet a grower’s unique needs.
GreenTech Agro’s founders are experienced business people with many years of engineering and horticulture experience. They’ve invested considerable time and resources in developing a state of the art solution to the growing problem of food insecurity. The GTA – Philips City Farming collaboration brings together all of the components necessary for successful technology based production including LED Lighting, Irrigation, Climate and Environmental Control, Plant Physiologists and more.
For more information
Philips Horticulture LED Solutions
Marjan Welvaarts, Global Marcom Manager
T: +31 (0)6 1504 3893
GreenTech Agro LLC
Glenn Behrman, Founder & President
T: +1 (305) 505-0970
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-10-02 Samskip and Boluda Lines join forces to launch new Spain-Ireland-UK Service
- 2023-10-02 UK: House of Lords Horticultural Sector Committee visits Kent-based vertical farm
- 2023-10-02 New greenhouse covers promise to save water, energy, and improve profitability
- 2023-10-02 CAN (ON): The party is on at the inauguration Van der Ende's new office in Kingsville
- 2023-10-02 Gentle handling and weighing of vine tomatoes and grapes
- 2023-09-29 "For growers and retailers, we're an open book"
- 2023-09-29 US (KY): "This farm was sold out as soon as it opened"
- 2023-09-29 BioSafe Systems mourns the loss of Michael Larose
- 2023-09-29 “We empower growers to excel in cost-effective cultivation, ensuring long-term success"
- 2023-09-29 Lebanon needs greenhouses for food safety and security too
- 2023-09-29 Eurofins Food Assurance acquires ARS Probata
- 2023-09-29 Said El Ouakili to join Kubo
- 2023-09-28 CAN: Provincial government investing in infrastructure for vegetable production
- 2023-09-28 “We help companies across continents resolve disputes”
- 2023-09-28 "Product availability is our biggest challenge by far"
- 2023-09-28 "From biocontrol to packaging and everything in between"