- Head Grower Strawberries, Australia
- Growing Manager for Hydroponic strawberry producer
- Farm Manager Costa Rica
- Regional Sales Manager Fresh Produce
- Head Grower Strawberries, Norway
- Export Trade Manager
- Business Developer - Northern Europe
- Orchard Sector Manager
- International Citrus Account Manager
New Zealand: Giant rare and smelly plant flowers for the first time in NZ
The plant began opening at approximately 2pm on Saturday 30 November and the bloom is expected to last until the end of Sunday 1 December. Public visiting hours have been extended to 8.30pm on Sunday.
Auckland Domain manager David Millward, of City Parks Services, says this is the first time the plant has produced a bloom, creating a good deal of excitement amongst his team and visitors to the garden.
"The titan arum, as it’s commonly known, can produce a single leaf the size of a small tree every year for seven to ten years before showing any signs of producing a flower.
"We have been watching this one very closely and were delighted to finally confirm that a flower was on the way - it felt a bit like being expectant parents!" he says
Auckland Council’s Manager of Parks Sports and Recreation Ian Maxwell says this is a momentous occasion for the Wintergarden and in New Zealand botanical terms.
"Many New Zealanders will have seen this plant on David Attenborough’s ‘Kingdom of Plants’ but never thought they might see one in Auckland.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-09-26 Increase your vegetable consumption to lower your blood sugar
- 2023-09-25 New podcast series about the history of fresh produce
- 2023-09-25 “It is our goal to provide our products in all 50 states”
- 2023-09-18 Growers and chemist innovate with new and existing products
- 2023-09-14 New celery bites introduced
- 2023-09-11 New compostable pot available to North American growers
- 2023-09-07 New salad kits and salad blends will debut at Southern Innovations
- 2023-09-06 Focus on reliability, longer lifetime, reusability, and flexibility
- 2023-09-01 New line of fresh-cut herbs under Vitalicious BIO-Organic label
- 2023-08-29 The nutritional marvel of microgreens
- 2023-08-28 Now, tomatoes can also be worn
- 2023-08-22 "New broad spectrum bioinsecticide back by popular demand"
- 2023-08-21 A nickel-free tomato that meets the needs of allergy sufferers
- 2023-08-09 A plastic film with maximum brightness, thermal efficiency and diffusion
- 2023-08-07 UK: GrowUp Farms launches first range of vertically ready-to-eat salads into Tesco
- 2023-07-20 Can spicy ice cream be dangerous?
- 2023-07-11 Some burgers will be served without tomatoes as crop shortage hits India
- 2023-07-07 Organic and fresh-cut vegetables on display
- 2023-07-04 Water cleanser product to be on display at Cultivate '23
- 2023-06-30 "Everyone loves Honing tomatoes, especially as a snack vegetable"