- Head Grower Strawberries, Australia
- Growing Manager for Hydroponic strawberry producer
- Farm Manager Costa Rica
- Regional Sales Manager Fresh Produce
- Head Grower Strawberries, Norway
- Export Trade Manager
- Business Developer - Northern Europe
- Orchard Sector Manager
- International Citrus Account Manager
Wageningen UR evaluates greenhouse designs for Mexico
The Dutch industry is involved through the supply of planting materials, greenhouse installations, biological control agents, and knowledge. There is a strong interest to expand operations, as reflected in the strategy of individual companies and Greenport Holland International which, amongst others, has resulted in the MexiCultura programme.
The choice for a new greenhouse can be made explicit by quantifying the effects of technology for production, water use, energy use, water use efficiency, energy use efficiency, investment and running costs, and pay-back period of the investments. Three computational models were used for this, viz. a greenhouse model, a crop growth model, and a financial model. They are fed with a wide variety of bio-physical and socio-economic data and provide quantitative information on the above-mentioned key parameters. The study was conducted for the states of Queretaro, Aguascalientes, and Sinaloa.
A variety of greenhouses was evaluated, ranging from a relatively simple greenhouse with a plastic cover and fixed windows to a greenhouse with automated windows, substrate, heating pipes, CO2 application, fogging, energy screens, and glass cover. To determine potential production levels, also a fully enclosed greenhouse was assessed.
Increased levels of technology increase the pay-back period; however, heating, CO2 application, fogging, energy screens and also a glass cover result in a higher net income. In the later cases, water use efficiency is also highest. Energy use efficiency is highest if energy screens which deal with low night temperatures are used.
The information can be used by Netherlands supply industry and Mexican growers to make informed choices.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-09-28 22-hectare greenhouse in Mongolia to be completed by the end of the year
- 2023-09-27 Providing a unique greenhouse experience and launch of new sweet pepper variety
- 2023-09-27 Foil greenhouse lets Belgian strawberry grower expand
- 2023-09-25 Greenhouse Cluster Development project is way in Georgia
- 2023-09-22 CAN: Horticultural center topped with roof informed by Fibonacci spirals
- 2023-09-21 Ukrainian farmers receive subsidies to develop the construction of gardens and greenhouses
- 2023-09-21 Greenhouse farming in the Mogilev region is switching to new technologies
- 2023-09-21 Far North grower forced to diversify crops due to strawberry shortage
- 2023-09-20 Lettuce industry Florida expands into new production systems
- 2023-09-20 Ukraine: Ivano-Frankivsk community are establishing a greenhouse farm
- 2023-09-20 Low- and mid-tech greenhouse constructions ready for assembly
- 2023-09-19 China: New glass greenhouse are under construction in Beijing
- 2023-09-18 Environmental association points out flaws in greenhouse expansion plan
- 2023-09-15 NL: Bejo's new plant nursery officially opened
- 2023-09-14 Philippines: Korean funded greenhouses set for turnover by November
- 2023-09-14 China: "This method saves 92 percent on water"
- 2023-09-14 US (NE): Greenhouse in the snow continues to flourish, adding international markets and commercial kits
- 2023-09-11 Guyana: Agriculture Minister Zulfikar Mustapha visits agricultural project AIEP
- 2023-09-11 US (NY): Work underway on $120M hydroponic lettuce farm in Lorena
- 2023-09-11 Philippines: BPI, Kopia launch vegetable project