- VP Growing Operations
- Head Grower Strawberries, Australia
- Growing Manager for Hydroponic strawberry producer
- Farm Manager Costa Rica
- Regional Sales Manager Fresh Produce
- Head Grower Strawberries, Norway
- Export Trade Manager
- Business Developer - Northern Europe
- Orchard Sector Manager
prices lower than in 2012
Increase in French tomato production
Also for the area a change can be noticed from the east to the (middle) west of France with -1%/2012 and -17%/average last five years in the south-east, +4%/2012 in Bretagne (+7%/five year average) and 1%/2012 (+33% average last five years) in Pays de Loire. In Aquitaine the open ground production decreased by a quarter and the glasshouse cultivation by -8%, but the losses are partly compensated by an increase of 7% by heat installations.
Difficult selling season
Nevertheless the 2013 season is regarded as a difficult year because of the cold and wet spring. Supplies remained low till July as a result, but after that 20% more than in the same month of 2012. In the middle of August, however, sales decreased again because of the competition with the cultivation of tomatoes by consumers themselves and also the mild weather in September was favourable for this tomato cultivation. Prices, which were lower than in 2012 but were equal to the average of the last five years, were at the lowest level in this period and increased again in October. In November most of the tomatoes on the shelves came from Spain and Morocco.
Click here for the complete article and more graphs (French)
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-10-02 Namibian producers have increasing access to global markets
- 2023-10-02 COAG Almeria denounces zucchini and cucumber prices don't cover production costs
- 2023-10-02 US: Intellectual property protections for new crop varieties have increased
- 2023-10-02 Pests detected in melons and tomatoes from Uzbekistan
- 2023-10-02 Launch of PlantwisePlus in Bangladesh to help increase climate-smart approach to plant health and food security
- 2023-10-02 Organic US strawberries bring growers higher prices than conventional berries
- 2023-10-02 "In Morocco, they are eager for knowledge from the Netherlands"
- 2023-10-02 UK govt allocates £12.5 million to projects focused on green farming innovation
- 2023-09-29 Cucumber and zucchini prices are significantly lower than in the same period of last year
- 2023-09-28 CAN (ON): Affordable housing investment project of $61.4M includes aquaponic farm
- 2023-09-28 Peppers pricey for this time of year
- 2023-09-28 California border patrol officers arrest man smuggling cocaine in cucumber shipment
- 2023-09-28 GfK figures and trends on fruit and vegetable consumption in Germany presented by Ulrike Singer
- 2023-09-28 Green, even more green, will it be houses or greenhouses in Harmelerwaard?
- 2023-09-27 "Shoppers may pay 50% more for tomatoes if the US puts duties on Mexican tomatoes"
- 2023-09-27 Spanish zucchini exports decrease by 18%