Top 5 -yesterday
- "We can now capture the whole value chain, from young plants to the consumer"
- Dutch Berries: 20 hectares of high-tech strawberry cultivation
- How to shift from optimal growth with LEDs to optimal energy usage
- Adjusting irrigation water: bicarbonates vs. pH
- Carbon footprint of importing food could be 7.5x higher than thought
Top 5 -last month
Efficient use of inputs in protected horticulture
Europe: Promising results for EUPHOROS project
The EU-funded 'Efficient use of input in protected horticulture' (EUPHOROS) project was established to develop a greenhouse system that does not rely on fossil fuels. The project also aimed to develop a toolbox to reduce inputs and waste outputs, to optimise the growing environment and to monitor the modern greenhouse.The toolbox is freely available on the project web-site.
Researchers tested a number of solutions to reduce the heating energy needs of greenhouses. Several glass coatings were tested, one of which could half heating requirements while maintaining similar productivity. Another coating improved the productivity of rose bushes in heated greenhouses, and was developed into a commercial product.
A new design for unheated greenhouses with improved ventilation was tested, showing a 40% increase in production compared to ordinary greenhouses. Other approaches included the reuse of irrigation water and fertilisers, which resulted in 25% reduction in water use and up to 40% fertiliser savings. EUPHOROS was a broad and comprehensive approach aimed at reducing the environmental impact of growing crops in greenhouses. Many of the proposed solutions have demonstrated that environmentally friendly agriculture can be economically viable.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-08-09 Increase horticulturalist's role in energy market with energy storage systems
- 2022-07-21 Energy efficiency: are you on track for reaching Net Zero?
- 2022-07-21 Energy crisis: anticipating with algorithms
- 2022-07-21 "How much should Hawaii discount electric rates for high-tech farmers?"
- 2022-07-20 Growing efficiency in greenhouses
- 2022-07-13 "Water-cooled LEDs are essential to any expansion"
- 2022-07-08 "Greenhouse growers can play a roll in stabilizing the grit"
- 2022-07-08 Van Gog Kwekerijen and Wittenberg Gemüse start the knitting machine to produce their screens
- 2022-07-05 Making money and improving sustainability with an electric boiler
- 2022-07-05 NZ: growers turn off the heat as coal and gas prices soar
- 2022-07-01 Geothermal greenhouse project in Coz Coz, Chile completed
- 2022-06-30 Trial with with low-emissivity glass is well under way
- 2022-06-30 What all grid regulators and policy makers should know about greenhouses and combined heat power
- 2022-06-27 Tsingsky: Using digital methods to reduce carbon fixation costs to benefit more growers
- 2022-06-27 Two new screens thanks to weaving technology
- 2022-06-22 UK greenhouse heats greenhouse with river water system
- 2022-06-15 A greener greenhouse: solar panels trialed on Wimbledon berries farm
- 2022-06-15 Building sustainability for the MHA nation with a vegetable greenhouse heated by waste gas
- 2022-06-10 Green technology employed to grow berries out of season
- 2022-06-08 "We cannot expect a grower to suddenly become an energy producer"