Top 5 -last month
US: Oregon's Farming Fish succesful with self made aquaponic system
“Nothing in our system is cheap, but most of it was inexpensive,” said Hittner. “We used all food grade materials as it is a food production system, but reused existing materials and sourced readily available materials as much as possible.”
The Farming Fish produces a plethora of organic products including fish, aquaponic vegetables, earth grown vegetables, herbs, fruits, nuts, eggs and some livestock. The products are sold at local farmer’s markets, to local grocery stores and restaurants, and to regional distributors.
Despite the farm’s success, Hittner is well aware that farming is a “rollercoaster of challenges.” She finds it especially challenging to be a little fish in a big pond, so to speak.
“It’s hard for a small farm to compete in a big business like food, especially in the first few years when making mistakes and learning the hard way,” said Hittner. But ultimately she feels that each challenge they face only makes them more connected to the farm and the community.
Click here for the complete article by Jenny Smiechowski on Seedstock.com
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-07-22 US: architect develops greenhouse for his Boston neighborhood
- 2022-07-22 Australian HFF inducts two life members with an incredible story of greenhouse construction in Mongolia
- 2022-07-21 China: Smart greenhouses boost yields
- 2022-07-21 A schoolgirl from Kazakhstan has developed a "smart" greenhouse
- 2022-07-21 Australia: Tomatoes and jobs to grow in Tatura
- 2022-07-13 California open field grower expands into hydroponic lettuces
- 2022-07-11 Iowa family farm sees success with tunnel greenhouses
- 2022-07-07 Evolving tomato cultivation in Ontario
- 2022-07-05 Oman: Jusoor Foundation to produce saplings and citrus plants in greenhouses
- 2022-07-05 Naturvillan is a self-sufficient, off-grid A-frame greenhouse home in Sweden
- 2022-06-30 US (ME): ‘Crew of octogenarians’ builds greenhouse in Lewiston yard
- 2022-06-30 CAN: Abegweit First Nation invests in food security with new greenhouse
- 2022-06-30 Finnish propagator Sigg-Plant expands capacity with 40%
- 2022-06-29 Twentyfour-year-old Saudi farmer engineers a blooming desert
- 2022-06-29 Canada: Church greenhouse program supports migrant workers
- 2022-06-29 S. Korean smart farm technology creates cooling greenhouses in Vietnam
- 2022-06-28 'Growing together by sharing the Chinese 'pie'
- 2022-06-28 Amazon seeks to convert Great Falls nursery into a greenhouse
- 2022-06-28 Big harvest for muskmelon in Indonesian greenhouse
- 2022-06-28 4-H raffle grand prize greenhouse built by A. E. Peacock students