Top 5 -yesterday
- UK: Grower reduces greenhouse temperature by more than 6°C during heatwave with no cooling, fog systems
- Understanding the profitability of your greenhouse
- Agave: The new drought-tolerant California crop?
- Patromex and DIDIHU partnership invests in modern plant for value-added coconut substrates
- US: Larry Ellison is feeding Hawaii from his high-tech hydroponic farm on Lanai
Top 5 -last month
- Vertical farming technologies tool in researching and fighting diseases
- German retailer Kaufland and horti-family Reichenspurner open new greenhouse
- "Water is the new gold"
- Growing strawberries from seeds becoming increasingly popular
- Higher productivity and earliness are the story behind these pink greenhouses
Canada: Ontario greenhouse operation fined $23K after worker falls
The employee was actually standing in a wooden apple crate on the forklift at a height of about seven or eight feet when he fell Wed., May 4, 2011, the ministry said,
"When the elevated worker moved to the right side of the crate during his work task, the crate became unbalanced and fell off of the forks," the e-mail said.
Nanticoke Greenhouses Ltd. pleaded guilty in a Simcoe court on Sept. 19 to failing to take every precaution reasonable in the circumstances to protect the health and safety of a worker, the ministry said.
The court also imposed a 25% victim fine surcharge on the Highway 24 business. It is credited to a special provincial government fund to assist victims of crime.
A ministry of Labour Investigation found there was a suspended work platform available for use in the greenhouse at the time, but it was "routine habit" for workers to instead use the forklift and wooden apple crate.
The investigation also found the injured worker was not wearing any kind of fall prevention equipment and that the crate was not secured to the forklift.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-08-11 Canadian grower adds space to indoor strawberry farm
- 2022-08-09 CAN (OB): Ever Tru Farms launches 15-acre expansion
- 2022-07-22 US: architect develops greenhouse for his Boston neighborhood
- 2022-07-22 Australian HFF inducts two life members with an incredible story of greenhouse construction in Mongolia
- 2022-07-21 Australia: Tomatoes and jobs to grow in Tatura
- 2022-07-21 China: Smart greenhouses boost yields
- 2022-07-21 A schoolgirl from Kazakhstan has developed a "smart" greenhouse
- 2022-07-13 California open field grower expands into hydroponic lettuces
- 2022-07-11 Iowa family farm sees success with tunnel greenhouses
- 2022-07-07 Evolving tomato cultivation in Ontario
- 2022-07-05 Oman: Jusoor Foundation to produce saplings and citrus plants in greenhouses
- 2022-07-05 Naturvillan is a self-sufficient, off-grid A-frame greenhouse home in Sweden
- 2022-06-30 US (ME): ‘Crew of octogenarians’ builds greenhouse in Lewiston yard
- 2022-06-30 CAN: Abegweit First Nation invests in food security with new greenhouse
- 2022-06-30 Finnish propagator Sigg-Plant expands capacity with 40%
- 2022-06-29 Twentyfour-year-old Saudi farmer engineers a blooming desert
- 2022-06-29 Canada: Church greenhouse program supports migrant workers
- 2022-06-29 S. Korean smart farm technology creates cooling greenhouses in Vietnam
- 2022-06-28 Amazon seeks to convert Great Falls nursery into a greenhouse
- 2022-06-28 'Growing together by sharing the Chinese 'pie'