Top 5 -yesterday
- "Kawaguchi tomato variety good option for consumer, but also good for the grower"
- Canadian grower adds space to indoor strawberry farm
- Unprecedented challenges ahead for the Fresh Herbs Industry
- More demand for pepper washers due to aphids
- "Production volume of Chinese strawberry tomatoes grew by 20%-30% this year"
Top 5 -last month
Philippines: 7.5 million to promote organic agriculture
She said the demo farms are the most effective and efficient way of promoting organic farming among the farmers and the populace.
"Organic agriculture has been proven to increase productivity and income, while protecting our environment," she said.
Provincial Organic Agriculture (OA) focal person Marilou Runas said the province intends to use the fund to develop more than a hectare demo farm adjacent to the Provincial Agriculturist Office.
She revealed the diversified OA techno-demo farm of the Capitol will grow organic vegetables, fruit trees, and upland rice, among others.
Other components of the project include training, vermiculture, bio pesticide, and the likes.
It will also employ the trichoderma and trichogramma projects, which are highly successful natural bio-control agent and natural pest control projects of the province, respectively.
Runas said the National Organic Agriculture Board is on the process of verifying the application of the other LGUs of the province to avail of the fund.
It can be recalled that Governor Rodolfo del Rosario has urged all the LGUs to take advantage of the funds coming from the national government, as sanctioned by the Organic Agriculture Act (OAA) of 2010, in order to adequately promote organic agriculture in the province, which he said, has been tested to increase productivity and income of the farmers.
Meanwhile, the province of Davao del Norte and the municipality of B.E. Dujali bested the regional level of the search for Organic Agriculture-Local Government Unit (OA-LGU) awards for its stride in promoting organic farming.
DA regional director Remelyn Recoter informed del Rosario that the Provincial Agriculturist Office of Davao del Norte and Runas dominated the competition in the Davao Region.
The town of Braulio E. Dujali was also adjudged as the top performing OA-municipal local government unit.
In a letter dated September 18, Recoter bared the province got a score of 97.34.
She advised the province to prepare for the second round of site visit and documentation which will be held on September 24.
Recoter, who is also the chair of the regional search committee, earlier said the OA-LGU awards aim to recognize the achievement of top performing LGUs and individuals in advancing organic farming in the country.
It also intends to strengthen the partnership of the DA and the LGUs in producing OA products, while gearing towards the conversion of at least five percent of the agricultural lands in the country to go organic.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-08-09 Cost Share Organic Certification Fee application period still open
- 2022-07-07 Revamped baby leaf containers to debut at Organic Produce Summit
- 2022-02-24 Consultants in organic farming get to the heart of the matter with growers
- 2022-02-01 U.S. organic produce sales top $9 billion in 2021
- 2021-10-27 Canadian greenhouse grower expands organics program
- 2021-09-27 Organic shoppers demand sustainable packaging
- 2021-09-21 Greenhouse growers present on Organic Produce Summit
- 2021-09-16 The UK horticulture conference created by growers for growers is back!
- 2021-06-03 Booth registration opens for Organic Grower Summit
- 2021-06-01 Pinduoduo embarks on first-of-its-kind study into plant-based meats
- 2021-05-07 Organic pak choi grown in good Dutch soil
- 2021-04-26 The World Food Innovation Awards awards the Monterosa tomato as the best natural and organic product
- 2021-04-23 Strategic organic partnership carries over to upcoming show
- 2021-04-01 "A coherent strategy for organic is essential"
- 2021-03-31 "There are wonderful sustainable initiatives, they are just not organic"
- 2021-03-22 Judge rules: This lettuce can be organic
- 2021-03-08 Regulatory changes expected to restrict smaller companies’ ability to provide beneficial microbes
- 2021-02-01 US: Organic greenhouse tomatoes see increased demand across varieties
- 2021-01-21 Ample organic cauliflower on the market
- 2021-01-11 Both a radish and a root vegetable – the watermelon radish