Top 5 -last month
US (CA): Shortage of workers hampers SLO County's crop harvest
“We’re struggling to find enough people to do the harvest of our specialty crops,” said Dan Sutton, general manager of the Pismo Oceano Vegetable Exchange, which specializes in such vegetables as Napa cabbage and bok choy. “People aren’t available, and this has probably been the most challenging season on record. It’s taking us a lot longer to do what we normally do quite a bit more efficiently.”
In years with an abundance of help, crews would consist of about 12 to 14 people, he said.
Now, crews average about eight to 10, and to keep up with the workload, they have been working longer hours and into the weekend, Sutton said.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-08-08 Hungary: What are the challenges and opportunities today for horti growers?
- 2022-08-08 US: Updates and annual facility certification for the offshore greenhouse certification program
- 2022-07-22 GLOBAL MARKET OVERVIEW CUCUMBER
- 2022-07-22 The Italian tomato production: an overview
- 2022-07-22 Shortage of certain tomato varieties expected this fall
- 2022-07-22 South African strawberry exports ramp up
- 2022-07-22 Average retail price of tomatoes in India down 39% over last month
- 2022-07-21 Multiple growing regions and freight factor into US cucumber pricing
- 2022-07-21 ‘Tomato industry in Ghana has collapsed’
- 2022-07-21 "The available supply of organic cucumbers does not cover the European demand"
- 2022-07-20 Herb prices skyrocket in Australia
- 2022-07-20 Used pallet demand is booming in the UK
- 2022-07-20 The NHAES 2022 INSPIRED Horticultural Research Report
- 2022-07-20 Israel’s fresh produce sector starting to see benefits of historic FTA with UAE
- 2022-07-20 Tomato prices down due to rains - Kolar district farmers worried
- 2022-07-20 Launch of sustainable development strategies to transform Iraq’s tomato sector
- 2022-07-19 Value chain analysis of tomato production and marketing in Ethiopia
- 2022-07-19 Highly featured: Refreshing summer fruit like peaches, nectarines, cantaloupe, watermelons and cherries
- 2022-07-19 Movement of Mexican asparagus through Arizona, California and Texas expected to remain about the same
- 2022-07-19 Consumer shopping trends fuel the growth of organic baby eggplant consumption