Top 5 -yesterday
- UK: Grower reduces greenhouse temperature by more than 6°C during heatwave with no cooling, fog systems
- Understanding the profitability of your greenhouse
- Agave: The new drought-tolerant California crop?
- Patromex and DIDIHU partnership invests in modern plant for value-added coconut substrates
- US: Larry Ellison is feeding Hawaii from his high-tech hydroponic farm on Lanai
Top 5 -last month
- Vertical farming technologies tool in researching and fighting diseases
- German retailer Kaufland and horti-family Reichenspurner open new greenhouse
- "Water is the new gold"
- Growing strawberries from seeds becoming increasingly popular
- Higher productivity and earliness are the story behind these pink greenhouses
US (KS): Stutzmans Greenhouse opens new retail garden center in Dodge City
Ervin and Emma Stutzman started a small greenhouse in 1956 growing starter plants for what was referred to as their "Truck Garden" growing onions, tomatoes and peppers for a local grocery store...Dillon's. Stutzmans Greenhouse is located just West of Hutchinson in a small business community, which is now called Pleasantveiw. With better germination than anticipated, Mr. Stutzman set up a roadside stand and sold the little starter plants to the local gardeners. He soon saw a potential market in supplying vegetable and flowering plants which gave the gardener a jump on the season and simplifying their process of trying to start their own in their house or just planting seed in the ground. This process continued to grow from their hard working Amish Mennonite work ethic and soon had a great reputation for plants of high quality and variety.
In 1980, Mr. Stutzmans cousin, Ben Miller and wife Marlene joined the operation. Then in 1985 Ben and Marlene purchased Stutzmans Greenhouse Inc. from the Stutzmans. At that time, Stutzmans Greenhouse consisted of 56,000 sq ft. of greenhouse production and retail along with some wholesale sales in central Kansas. Through the 80's and 90's Stutzmans expanded to over 9 acres of greenhouse production, shipping spring bedding plants, poinsettias and mums to Oklahoma, Missouri, Nebraska, Texas, Colorado, New Mexico and all over Kansas. With their passion of retail, son Justin Miller joined the operation in 2002 and helped launch the transition to opening Retail Garden Centers in Central Kansas with locations in Pratt, Great Bend, Salina, Newton, McPherson, East side and West side of Wichita, Derby, Applelane in Hutchinson and Pleasantveiw.
The Dodge City/Ford County Development Corporation is excited to have Stutzmans Greenhouse and Garden Centers in Dodge City. Stutzmans is utilizing the Development Corporations website www.dodgecityhasjobs.com to staff their new location. At this time, Stutzmans is still searching for a local manager for this location. Going to www.stutzmans.com and joining Stutzmans Garden Club and following them on Facebook is a great way to get information on Gardening tips and special events and promotions. You can also see their full line of spring plants all grown by Stutzmans.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-07-22 UK consumers are starting to doubt the quality of supermarket foods
- 2022-07-21 The “AirBnB” of indoor farms: Modern fresh food distribution using indoor farm as a service
- 2022-07-12 Sweden: Vertically cultivated salad now sold at online food platform
- 2022-07-11 France: Carrefour joins forces with NOUS anti-gaspi
- 2022-07-05 Solution consists entirely of FSC certified paper and a cellulose net as a viewing window
- 2022-06-27 Photo report of Finnish supermarkets
- 2022-06-21 Queensland: Drought preparedness, research, and pest control in $608 million budget
- 2022-05-27 UAE: Coop indoor farm covers 30% of the consumption of cooperative branches
- 2022-05-26 Organic salad bowls now in separable cardboard tray
- 2022-05-09 Discounter offers cucumbers for €4.65 per kg
- 2022-05-03 Why are vegetables grown in Singapore pricier than imported greens?
- 2022-03-21 Japanese artist carves gorgeous objects from fruits and vegetables
- 2022-03-14 Date marking related visual cues can reduce food waste
- 2022-02-11 Green Life Farms supplies herbs and leafy greens to Farmer Joe’s market
- 2022-02-09 “As long as the French origin is not on the market, we will not sell any strawberries”
- 2022-01-20 Lidl gives green light to LEAF Marque on UK fresh produce
- 2021-11-05 "Greenhouse ginger has a stronger flavor than imported ginger"
- 2021-10-01 Tesco applies strict measures for UK growers
- 2021-09-14 Australian industry faces largest rise in food prices in more than a decade
- 2021-08-30 More visibility for regionality and the strengthening of Austrian producers