- Senior Grower UK
- Customer Support Executive
- Sales Representative Substrates Peru
- Head Grower – High Technology Organic Greenhouse
- Import and Export Sales Manager
- Sales Manager - US
- Key Account Manager (f/m/d) - Full-time
- Vice President of Growing Operations
- Account Manager - Canada
- Account Manager - United States
South African start-up funded hydroponics project failed
As an initiative to provide employment and promote skills - specifically for single heads of households - the municipality launched a pilot hydroponics scheme with research assistance from the CSIR just after the turn of the millennium.
Major start-up funding was provided by the then provincial Department of Economic Development and Social Services, which put in 1 million Rand in the financial year 2003/4 to help start the project and further funding of R2.25m in 2004/5. The national Department of Science and Technology put in a total of R1.88m, also over those two financial years.
The project was formally launched in June 2003 with a cost estimate of R5m, and was greatly expanded to include five greenhouses covering an area of about 8,500m2. It focused on herbs - mostly basil, coriander, rocket and mint - and a small range of vegetables.
The project staff ranged between 50 and 60 people, trained at Stellenbosch University, making the project one of the biggest single employers in the region.
Read the full, comprehensive news article and discuss at Cape Argus
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-12-07 "Groupage transport from Spain to the Netherlands is increasingly tricky"
- 2023-12-07 New top seal pack introduced for leafy greens
- 2023-12-06 Another expansion for Canadian propagator
- 2023-12-06 Malaysia: Agro aid for Hydroponic innnovation, entrepreneurial growth
- 2023-12-06 "What we are going to do here is unique"
- 2023-12-06 Closing greenhouses in Kazakhstan: problems, culprits, and solutions
- 2023-12-05 Inmates will work in the greenhouse in Amasya prison, Turkey
- 2023-12-05 95% of greenhouses in Turkmenistan specialize in tomato production
- 2023-12-05 Ukraine: Greenhouse complex using geothermal energy will be built for EUR 68 mln in Lviv region
- 2023-12-04 Mongolia: 22-ha greenhouse to be completed before year end
- 2023-12-04 Storm causes significant damage to greenhouses in Konya, Turkey
- 2023-12-04 Greenhouse vegetable growers in Kazakhstan can receive 25% subsidies
- 2023-12-01 Liberia: Solidaridad constructs the first post-war cocoa greenhouse
- 2023-12-01 Conviction in fraudulent funds for aquaponic project
- 2023-11-30 Greenhouse grower receives award for ‘Together’ campaign
- 2023-11-30 US (IN): Lilly greenhouses to be remodeled as ‘Purdue Moves’ forward in research