Top 5 -last month
US (WY): Vertical Harvest gets $300K loan for LEDs and climate computer
The goal of the greenhouse is to extend Jackson’s short vegetable growing season and provide jobs for people with disabilities. The loan is being made at no interest. It will be repaid in $2,083 monthly installments over 12 years.
The Town Council approved the loan at a meeting last Monday, after the Jackson Hole Energy Sustainability Project recommended it earlier this month. The Jackson-Teton County energy board consists of town and county elected officials as well as members of the public.
The money for the loan comes from specific purpose excise tax money OK’d by voters in 2010. Those funds were earmarked to pay for energy conservation measures for public buildings. Other projects have included adding solar panels to town buildings such as Town Hall and the Home Ranch Welcome Center.
The greenhouse qualifies for the funds because it will actually be built and owned by the town. Vertical Harvest, which is a registered “low-profit” company, will lease the space and operate the business. The greenhouse will be built on a narrow piece of town land between West Simpson Avenue and the South side of the town parking structure.
Another $15,000 from the same tax money was spent on an energy study of the greenhouse plans.
The project was made possible through a $1.5 million grant from the state. Total construction costs are estimated at about $1.8 million. Vertical Harvest founders are coming up with the remaining $300,000.
The grant money was given the final OK by the State Loan and Investment Board after the project received a narrow approval from the Wyoming Business Council in May.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-07-22 US: architect develops greenhouse for his Boston neighborhood
- 2022-07-22 Australian HFF inducts two life members with an incredible story of greenhouse construction in Mongolia
- 2022-07-21 China: Smart greenhouses boost yields
- 2022-07-21 A schoolgirl from Kazakhstan has developed a "smart" greenhouse
- 2022-07-21 Australia: Tomatoes and jobs to grow in Tatura
- 2022-07-13 California open field grower expands into hydroponic lettuces
- 2022-07-11 Iowa family farm sees success with tunnel greenhouses
- 2022-07-07 Evolving tomato cultivation in Ontario
- 2022-07-05 Oman: Jusoor Foundation to produce saplings and citrus plants in greenhouses
- 2022-07-05 Naturvillan is a self-sufficient, off-grid A-frame greenhouse home in Sweden
- 2022-06-30 US (ME): ‘Crew of octogenarians’ builds greenhouse in Lewiston yard
- 2022-06-30 CAN: Abegweit First Nation invests in food security with new greenhouse
- 2022-06-30 Finnish propagator Sigg-Plant expands capacity with 40%
- 2022-06-29 Twentyfour-year-old Saudi farmer engineers a blooming desert
- 2022-06-29 Canada: Church greenhouse program supports migrant workers
- 2022-06-29 S. Korean smart farm technology creates cooling greenhouses in Vietnam
- 2022-06-28 'Growing together by sharing the Chinese 'pie'
- 2022-06-28 Amazon seeks to convert Great Falls nursery into a greenhouse
- 2022-06-28 Big harvest for muskmelon in Indonesian greenhouse
- 2022-06-28 4-H raffle grand prize greenhouse built by A. E. Peacock students